We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Driving to Gambia

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Topic
Trip Driving to Gambia

Just fill the Tank, and carry a few Jerry Cans, Head South.

Follow the Sun... :-)

Don’t Drive in the Dark, in Africa.

If you can get hold of Red Diesel do so, will cut the fuel bill in Half ish... Try to take enough Fuel, to get you to Laayoune in Western Sahara, and fill again there, about 25p a Litre, bit better than UK...!!!

Right that’s the instructions done..!!

Except Getting Visa for Mauritania, must be got in Rabat in Morocco.

No Visa's or anything collect at Borders.

Take copies of Passports, Car Docs etc. few other things.

You would be better with LHD Cars or Vans.

Most you want to spend on a Car is £500 really;

Make sure it's a Diesel, preferably Merc, Peugeot or Japanese 4x4, Shogun, Nissan Patrol, etc.

Sell Car would be best idea, then you can put money in right direction, otherwise the new owner would be using it and not passing it on to School, Charity etc...!

Believe me, there are plenty of "Nice" people over there, that Aren't all they seem...

You can send Cars by Ship as well, Just under £500 for Cars, and about £800 for 4x4's. Go from Tilbury.

Any other info mail me at bristolcomputers@gmail.com or ring on 07716 371 763

2004. Took me 9 Days in Passat, 70 litre tank 6 Jerries... 3 Days repairing rear suspension, in Morocco...

2005. 11 Days in Transit, 200ltr Drum,

2006. 13 Days 7.5 Tonner. 200 in tanks and 2x200ltr Drums…

2007. Thing with Wings... 6 Hours… Useless for taking Stuff..!!

2008. 6 Days in Passat in 2008, 6 Jerries… averaged 46.8 MPG.

Rich.....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

bump.!!

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Done it back in 2007 in a 2.5 omega. not sure what cost more the fuel or bribes at every check point. We only planned on driving to Dakla in the western sahara but had problem getting rid of cars and flying out of there. So we just carried on to the gambia and flew home from there. Great experience and great memorys

3. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 am, June 21, 2012
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Bump for DonPedro950

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

where would you say is the cheapest port to send a car over i see somewhere you state tilbry £500 who is that with and what about import duty

Inveraray, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Import duty in Gambia is 48 % of the value of your vehicle..............

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Madge,

Grimaldi Line, what I used..

Rich.......

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Ric Dont know if this article will will hinder anyone driveing through Mauritania in the future ,or if its happening way to the east away from the route you normally take ,but i think its worth a look regarding the escalating situation in that region.like i said it may be miles away ,but worth keeping an eye on.

jollofnews.com/20120529gambia-mauritania-dis…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

Jeff,

Many Miles from Atlantic Route, it's North Mali, no problems, except People going off Pistte, between Moroc and Mauri, which still have land mines.

Keep to The Road and all OK..

Rich........

bristol
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Driving to Gambia

hi ric,

great post.

we're looking into retiring to the Gambia in a few years.we really want to take our 4x4 with us.Is it right that we have to pay 48% import duty.Be cheaper to buy over there surely.Bit gobsmacked if thats the case.also dont know if you can help with this one also.We have a breeding pair of african Leopard tortoises that we want to take with us.Any info on quarentine etc.

thanks alan and sian