We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Hi,

Off for a week at the Ngala Lodge next week - Can't wait

I had read previous posts about not wearing jeans in the restaurant - but wanted to know if anyone had any experiences of this? Also if anyone has recently returned from Ngala Lodge - What is it like.

Thanks

Demmers73

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Hi Demmers,

Ngala Lodge is a very relaxed place and I'm sure that unless your jeans are falling apart you won't have a problem.

I would say that you might find denim a bit warm and would be more at ease in lighter cloth.

I wear jeans to travel in and unless it's a very cold night after a few weeks to acclimatise they never get worn agin until the flight home.

As for whats it like? It's a small hotel with great staff and lovely rooms. A fridge and air-con is included. Breakfast in bed is served and is very good.

I was at Ngala in Sept when the rate was also about D36 - £1 but found the bar and restaurant prices acceptable. Taxi's are available from reception or just walk oout onto the street and wait a few moments.

Enjoy a drink with Peter (Chef) a good meal and then a walk on the beach which is bumster free and very nice.

If you fish then a small spinning rod to the left side of the beach is a hot spot.

Enjoy yourself.

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Hi,

I have never seen anyone wearing jeans in the restaurant, but there is always a first time.

It is the sort of place that you would want to dress up a bit for, the ambiance sort of demands it. Smart casual is fine.

It is rather cool in the evening still, especially in the restaurant as it over looks the ocean so take a cover up for evenings.

Enjoy - lovely place

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but we're off to the Ngala Lodge next week and my husband is worried about what to pack for the evening. Are 3/4 length trousers and a shirt smart enough or does he need to go for full length?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

shiny no 3/4 length is ok at night the mossies will love it,on a more serious note cannot ever remember anyone wearing 3/4 length, full length cotten slacks perfect. Gambia is in reality to laid back to really worry about what you wear its the wearer that worries. Excuse my dad its is birthday party and 2 much Jamisons makes him woffle.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Thank you, that's really helpful. We fly a week tomorrow and I can't wait!

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

Shiny, went there in August and no jeans around, as previously mentioned, really think you will find it too hot for jeans. Smart casual is the order of the day.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

I've just ordered him some smart linen trousers, hopefully these should be ok.

I am a bit worried about the humidity, understand it's not the best time of year to go but it's the only time we could both get off work.

8. Re: Ngala Lodge - Dress for Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gambia