We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

uk
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

Hi

We are staying at the mandina lodge at the end of October for 2 weeks .... just booked it last Saturday so all a bit last minute!

Quick questions

1Travel plugs .... from what I can see they use Uk standard 3 pin , is this correct and we don’t need to bring adapters?

2 currency exchange.... is it best to change at airport as hotels tend to give a poorer rate?

3 we are travelling for the wildlife and maninoy birds so mandina lodge seems to cater well for that!

Where else is a good natural place to see wildlife

4 trip to Senegal .... is this easily done? And could we book it locally as never keen to pay the international tour companies preferring to give the money to trusted recommends local companies

5 is there phone reception at mandina lodge

I note there Is no Wi-Fi but wondered re phone?

Any other hints and tips gratefully received

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

Hi Titch,

I stayed for a couple of nights last year and your correct about no wifi. I had a Qcell sim but reception was very poor with it and found africell was slightly better.

I don't remember needing any travel plugs for the lodge.

Others will I'm sure be able to fill you in concerning the wildlife trips to Senegal.

uk
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

Thanks for update

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

Not so much for wildlife - there really isn't much left in Gambia except for the exception birdlife (mental note: I must import a new giraffe and make myself a fortune. The last one alive went missing) - but for a dose of absolute peace and simplicity get yourselves out to Kartong at the very southern tip of Gambia. A taxi will take you. Arrive in time for lunch at the river-edge bar on your right at the very end of the road. Take tissues - remote Gambia doesn't tend to feature those-when-needed as facilities are adequate but basic. After lunch and some photos and for a little adventure you can take a canoe accross to Senegal, the back way! Goodle maps doesnt show you the various creeks. My resident friends went on Christmas day, for a bit of quiet solitude!

On the drive home, stop at the nearby well-known Snake Farm. Here the French owner wanted to educate Gambian children that snakes are not all dangerous. Some are and are securely contained to view. A pretty interesting day.

Edited: 3:02 pm, October 15, 2017
Gambia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal

hey, no need for travelplugs, all 3pin UK. Indeed no WiFi but with Africell sim card (which you can get at the airport) you have okay reception, sometimes not in all parts of the Madina. There are loads of Baboons around there and other monkeys. Birding is excellent there, so you will love it there. Senegal, the wildlife in Fathala is the best thing in the area, on our visit in April we saw all the various animals there are in the park. The walk with the lions is a unique experience. The lodge is very nice, it is not as unique as Makasutu but defo nice.

For currency, surely you can change at the airport but around the hotels there are enough exchange offices (if you are going straight to Makasutu, then better change at the airport). have fun, enjoy Gambia - you will love it for sure!

Reply to: Mandina Lodge - trip to Senegal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gambia