We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

On my recent visit to Addis Ababa, I had a suggestion to contact Genet Mengistu as a guide.

What an EXCELLENT suggestion!

On the day I arrived, I wanted to be sure to have a reliable guide to show me around, so I contacted her, and met with her at the hotel. She quoted me $45 for the day, including local (public) transport. We went to some major sights and museums. What an excellent, stress-free way to start my visit to the country! Even as a seasoned traveler, I found out that it took a little while to figure out the beat of the city and the beat of the country, and her service was invaluable to get me started on the right foot!

I had no problems communicating with her in English, and she could explain everything at the museum that I could not have gotten from the signs, and show me the significance of the sites that I was visiting. She was also able to tell me what I could and could not take a photo of, which in Addis is an important thing to know.

In fact, I was so pleased with her services that I hired her again on the last day of the trip to show me to Mt. Entoto (would have been challenging without a local at the least), take me to Merkato, and also to help me with souvenir shopping. In a country that required bargaining, this was the most stress-free shopping I had ever done, and the time I saved alone was worth the cost of the guide!

Her email is genetmengistu@yahoo.com . I HIGHLY recommend her. It is absolutely worth the investment!

1. Re: A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, March 06, 2014
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

It is perhaps worth saying that as well as Addis city tours I believe Genet will do short, ie 1 or 2 day trips out of Addis eg to Bishoftu (Debr Zeit) or Debre Libanos

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

I'd like to add to this message how wonderful Genet was as our guide for a full day tour of the city. We were picked up from the airport and Genet stayed with us the whole day before dropping us back to the airport after a wonderful dinner. Her knowledge of the city and history of Ethiopia is superb and I can't imagine having gone around Addis without her. She is lovely company as well! Just try and bring her some cheddar cheese if coming from the UK ;-)

Happy to give more of a reference for anyone that would like it.

Alex & Kate

4. Re: A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, March 06, 2014
5. Re: A great experience with a guide in Addis, Genet Mengistu

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 05, 2015