We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ethiopian Run

Wellington, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Great Ethiopian Run

addisadvisor I tried to pm you with these questions but it wanted verification text and I couldn't get past that point (I tried 3 different browsers!)

My partner Daniel and I (New Zealanders) are arriving in Addis on Saturday 23rd Nov late evening, and we thought it would be fun to take part in the run on the Sunday (probably walking though!)

We're looking to book a moderate priced hotel (up to about USD50 for a couple of nights, perhaps near to the start/end of the race, Meskel Square. Could you suggest anywhere suitable?

Also, the race packs would need to be picked up from Hilton Hotel by 6pm on the Saturday and we don't arrive until later that night. Could you suggest someone who could collect them for us and deliver to our hotel, and how much should we pay for this?

Thanks,

Jenny

1. Re: Great Ethiopian Run

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 pm, January 09, 2017
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ethiopian Run

Yes Start finish Jan Meda.

Lomi Gh via facebook

Green Valley Hotel

Belair Hotel......

Z GH only has 4 rooms

More pricy

Addis View

Ras Amba H

Yeka GH

Ebenezer GH

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ethiopian Run

Anyone out there planning to do the GER or watch it on Sunday Nov 24th?? Be aware that the course this year is completely different; due to massive road works in city centre and Debre Zeit Rd for the building of the Addis Metro Light Rail system. The run is in the north east sector of the city so a huge area between Arat Kilo; Amist Kilo, Sidist Kilo and Magananya is likely you be closed to traffic from 0800 till lunchtime at least.

For exact route see GER website ..... course route

Easiest places to walk into the course will be from Arat Kilo or Megananya, or from the new road that goes north from Holiday Hotel towards British Embassy.

IF you are on holiday in Addis and want to watch it be aware it is a huge event, the largest road race in Africa, with 37000 runners.

Best place to see the 500 elite runners possibly about 0910 at Shola Market

0920 at St Matthews Church between Arat Kilo and Ras Amba Hotel

0925 Sandford International School

BUT note that last two places are elite only ie the other 36000 go on different route from Green Valley Hotel back to finish at Jan Meda

so if you want to see everyone the T junction by Green Valley Hotel is a good place.

If you want to see everyone near start head for Sandford School and walk just past it to where the road comes out on a 6 lane highway

I

IF you wish to avoid it head for Bole or the city centre area this year....

4. Re: Great Ethiopian Run

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:02 am, December 13, 2013
5. Re: Great Ethiopian Run

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 15, 2014