We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money matters

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Money matters

We are going to Ethiopia in December and will be travelling about for one month we were wondering how best to take our cash. We were thinking of taking most in hard cash(probably dollars and some in a debit account. We thought this would be easier for changeing money and saving cash on making multiple withdrawls.

I would appreciate if anyone has anyideas or tips on this subject

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money matters

Hi

Visa ATMs are plentiful in Addis. To avoid the charges for multiple withdrawals, I recommend the ATM at the Hilton for allowing the largest withdrawals.

ATMs outside Addis are few and far between. USD cash is by far the most convenient. I would personally advise against travellers cheques. It is possible to change them but not many banks do and in my experience it takes ages.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money matters

I have read that travellers cheques can be a pain so looks like theyre out of the window. I will just take most of my cash with me and keep a card for backup. Thanks very much for the advice

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money matters

Hi

Another way to transport cash without actually carrying it is to use Western Union transfers. Every street in Addis has a Western Union.

Hurdegaryp
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Money matters

Is there any difference in acceptance between Visa and Master Cards

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
812 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money matters

Both master and Visa work . No diffrence at all.

If you unable to find any ATM . Hope not will hapen. There is pos in evry Dashen Bank branch. U can get the money but a higher sevice charge around 4.5 %.

ATM IS ALWAYS CHEAP. Quick and safe

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
812 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money matters

2.5 %

Hurdegaryp
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Money matters

Thanks for your comment

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money matters

There are plenty of ATMs in all but the very smallest towns - Dashen Bank is the most reliable. Don't take dollars unless you are American. Local and small businesses only want Birr, and bigger businesses would prefer Pounds or Euros - which don't suffer from forgery like dollars. If you change your pounds into dollars you will lose 3 to 4% on the turn for no benefit. Don't worry about mugging - it is virtually unheard of in Ethiopia (unlike the UK). Pocket-picking is a big problem though, so use a money belt and your money will be safer than almost anywhere in the world. Anything you leave lying around will go - and you can hardly blame them given how little they have. Lovely, lovely people.

9. Re: Money matters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013