We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two year stay: What to take?

Marina Del Rey
Level Contributor
169 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Two year stay: What to take?

Is it advisable to bring toilet tissue and Kleenex?

I read recommendations to bring flashlights and batteries, ziplock bags, hand sanitizer, books, sunscreen, favorite toiletries, over-the-counter meds. What other consumables do Americans usually bring to Addis Ababa?

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

Hi

I am not American, but can assure you that tissues and toilet roll are readily available all over Addis. Lots of medication is also easily available. There is a chain of bookshops called Bookworld carrying Amharic and books in other languages - mostly English. Power cuts are common so torch and batteries are a good idea. I don't think hand sanitizer is common there at all.

Marina Del Rey
Level Contributor
169 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

Thanks, Dukla.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

Handsan, yes bring. Suncream expensvie here.

I would bring books- shops here are very limitedon books..

Ethiopia
Level Contributor
14 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

You will be very surprized as to how much is available in Addis. There are lots of small corner shops to bigger grocery shops.....Bambis, Novis, etc. There are alot of power outages but again you can find torches and batteries galore. Clothes shopping can be a bit of a challenge if you are not super skinny. With reference to books, if you join the International Women's Group who usually meet at the Hilton Hotel once a month, you can trade novels or buy them cheaply. There are numerous drugstores for over the counter drugs and even if they do not have your particular drug they are very good at recommending the next best. We have even bought malaria tablets there. Ziplock bags can be found at Bambis in several sizes. Maybe your favourite shampoo and sanitary towels/tampax are the only things you need to bring in. Having said that you can find both in Addis but probably not the brand you are used to. Just make sure you are up to date with all the right innoculations and enjoy Addis. This time of the year is fab.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
68 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

First of all you will be staying for two years in Ethiopia

that means you couldn't buy and bring a two year expense from USA at once.

Every thing you mentioned are found here in the country as Said before.

I was laughing at you why you ask Toilet tissues to bring here? is there a country with this minor issues in the 21st century!?or is it an insult?

The recommended consumables from a LP or Brdat guide book are for the all the general cases.

See you in Ethiopia

Have a good stay

6. Re: Two year stay: What to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 27, 2012