We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA on Arrival

Ithaca, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
VISA on Arrival

I'm a US citizen and I know that I can get a visa on arrival but I have heard that this may take a long time if other flights arrive around the same time as mine. I am on Ethiopian Airlines flight 501 that arrives on a Tuesday morning at 7:55AM. Does anyone know if other international flights are scheduled to arrive around that time? I have checked a few and most seem to arrive in the evening.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA on Arrival

I don't know about morning flights but our flight arrived in the evening along with some other flights. Getting the visa did not take long. They had several agents set up and everything went very smoothly and quickly. It's easier if you have the money ready I think.

Have a great time in Ethiopia! it's a remarkable country!

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA on Arrival

Hi there,

After 3 am in the morning there aren't much flights, So you can get your Visa with out any hassle. if its only your plane won't take much, less than ten minutes. As the above travelers said now there are many agents from the migration office who work on visa section. so there will not be a problem.

Enjoy your flight and your visit.

T.E.

Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA on Arrival

I'm an American coming to Ethiopia for a week. When i apply for a visa on arrival in Addis, will i need a passport picture?

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
725 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA on Arrival

Hi

No, you don't need a photo for the visa on arrival. Just 20USD. There is a daily morning flight from the UK arriving at 7am. My experience is even when a few flights arrive at once, the wait is not too bad. Just try to be quick at filling out your form which you do before you enter the visa room!

Incidentally, if you stay longer than a month, and have to renew your visa at the immigration office in Addis, you do need a photo, as well as 20USD (ETB not accepted) and a photocopy of your passport. It takes 24 hours to do the renewal.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
287 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA on Arrival

ETH 501 is the one I arrived on, on Sunday Feb. 27 at about 8:00 AM. The entry hall was swamped. It took 45 min. to get the visa and another 45 in line for immigration, 1 1/2 hour total. I was not nearly at the back end of the line.

By the time I got through, both FX windows were closed, but that is another story.

Try to get off the plane quickly, get to the entry hall quickly, and get in line quickly, then relax, there is nothing else you can do.

Jim

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA on Arrival

Usually now people are getting thru the system in 45 to 75 minutes.

The Washington flight can be bad as most people on it are not in transit but getting out at Addis; whereas from London and other EU starts the majority of folk on a flight are usually in transit to other African cities!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA on Arrival

I took the Washington flight but had my visa in advance, well worth getting it in advance, we were through immigration in about 15 minutes while many lined up for the visa on arrival queue which looked like a massive line. I live in the Washington, DC area and went to the Ethiopian Embassy. You can also mail your visa appl, passport and money order or bank check.

The FX line was long in the baggage claim area. We made the mistake of not using the window before immigration (no line). Naturally we wanted to queue up for immigration thinking that line would take a while but not the case. Seems most people think the same way. Best is if you are traveling with at least one other person one can stand in the immigration line while the other goes to the FX window.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA on Arrival

I had no issues with time on the visa and immigration. You do not need a photo, just $20 cash. Enjoy!

salem
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA on Arrival

I am from India. I intend travelling to Accra via Addis Ababa. Can I get a transit visa on arrival so that I can have a brief city tour of the historic city?Thanks

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA on Arrival

Hi Follow the link and you will have the answer for your transit visa doubts.

ethioembassy.org.uk/consular_services/visa.h…

God luck.