We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas at the airport

New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visas at the airport

Hi,

I'm leaving for Addis on Saturday and am thinking of waiting to get my visa at the airport. I see from previous posts that the cost is $20. Is that really the case? I ask because in the US, the cost is $70. Also, what else do I need, other than the application form?

Thanks,

Lisa

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visas at the airport

To bptraveller.

They will sometimes give more than a month at the airport. IF possible have some booking to prove you intend to holiday in Eth for 5 weeks.

Try to prove that at end of the month you will be out in the wilds and cannot possibly go to Immigration in Addis.

eg Get a letter from a tour company saying you will be in X on the 31st day...

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visas at the airport

Another approach if you have time is to go thru London Embassy who may be more flexible IF you say you want to spend 5 weeks travelling within Ethiopia.

You can download application form from their website and they are usually very efficient at getting passports back to you. providing you follow the instructions.

If in doubt i am in UK on 079 302 406 93 (Frank)

Amsterdam
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Visas at the airport

Hi all,

Does anybody know whether also multiple entry visas are issued at the airport? We are travelling to Kenya after two days Addis and return after a week to enjoy Ethiopia for three more weeks...

Thanks!

Annegien (Holland)

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visas at the airport

If you need a multi=entry visa best to get it at Eth Embassy in Holland first.

Pretty sure they will NOT do m/entry at airport

Framingham...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visas at the airport

No, they do NOT issue multiple-entry visas at the airport. These require a picture and and application and must be done either at your home embassy or at Immigration after arriving in Addis.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Visas at the airport

Hi,

i saw some people the other day paying in birr while picking up people at the immigration/visa office area and if they change there mind again there is a foreign exchange office in that area, and is not a problem so you are covered anyway.

agy.

hi frank, how is it.

www.anadventureinafrica.com

Framingham...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visas at the airport

If you are an ETHIOPIAN you can pay in Birr for your immigration "stuff." If you are NOT an Ethiopian you HAVE to pay in USD. I very much doubt this policy has changed in the past two or there months. Most likely you saw Ethiopians paying in Birr for passports, etc.

18. Re: Visas at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, September 27, 2009