We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Addis

London
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Addis

Hi all! In July I will be spending three days in Adis on my way to Zambia. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I could do in those three days? Would there be time to get out and see some of the famous countryside or would it be best to concentrate on the city (baring in mind we're (GF and I) are on a tight budget! Also, any recommendations as to where to stay? I'm under the impression there are some nice hotels for not too much so maybe 1 night at a nice one and a couple of nights at a budget hotel/hostel?

Look forward to hearing back!

Gavin

Wales
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Addis

You will have a great time. The city is not geared towards tourism but an open top bus tour has recently started on a daily basis and I would suggest this is the best way to tour the city of Addis on your first visit. The bus can be taken from the Sheraton or the Hilton hotels or anywhere else along the route but it will only go in the morning once and in the afternoon once and then only if there is a minimum of 3 people on it. However the blue taxis will take you everywhere and wait for you and, with a little haggling they should cost no more than 80 Birr for 2 or 3 hours.

The people are very friendly, if not curious to see tourists. The food is great but you need to get used to using your hands and not a knife and fork. Try Elsa's restaurant/bar for the best lamb tibbs where you can buy a meal and a beer for £1.50 and also the Gragy restaurant near the Piazza for kutfor. Get a taxi to the Piazza area where there are many nice very cheap bars (25p a bottle).

You can stay up market in the Sheraton or The Hilton. The Ghion is supposed to be a nice hotel but the standards of cleanliness and service in Addis accomodation do vary greatly.

July is part of the rainy season but it will rain heavily each day for about 1 hour at a time and then clear up. The weather is very pleasant all year round but it gets very cold in the evenings because the city is at altitude.

Most of all do go out and about in Addis and experience the city properly and not just the main touristy type of places. I went there 5 times in 2007 and enjoyed each visit and there was never any sign of trouble whatsoever.

Steve.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Addis

Hey there GBedford!!!

If you only have three days, I would stay in Addis Abeba and not travel out to the countryside. Depending on your budget, Sheraton and Hilton are on the higher end but are beautiful hotels. I would not recommend Ghion-its a middle range hotel but isn't quite clean. Newer hotles are avilable that are more modern, Dessalgne hotel is one another option maybe the Queen of Sheba. Their probably 2 stars but are much newer.

You should definitely visit Merkato-its the largest open market in Africa. Hold tight to your bags and bargain your prices well. You should also visit Bole Road- its probably the most modern part of Addis. Visit the cafes (like Bole Mini, London Cafe or La Parisenne) and the many restaurants such as: Makush (Italian), Amsterdam (everything), Sangham (indian). Since you are on a time crunch you should visit a traditional ethiopian restaurant that has the traditional dancers and ceremonies. I'd recommend Fasika! Enjoy your time there it's a beutiful country. I used to live there and would do anything to return. Let me know if you have any questions! Hope I helped a bit =)

3. Re: 3 days in Addis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:05 pm, April 22, 2008
Pondicherry, India
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Addis

Hi, I am yonas from addis ababa, ethiopia. i am a personal tour guide and couch surfer. if you write me at yonasga@hotmail.com i will respond you very shortly about everything you want to know.

thanks,

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Addis

I wouldn't waste my money at the Sheraton or Hilton. They are great but their prices are for the UN staff.

I stayed at the Queen of Sheba Hotel

W. 16 K 08 H.No. 935

Nice rooms for approx. 70-100 US $.

http://wikimapia.org/98284/

You don't need a guide, all they do is take you to another tourist trap where they get commisions.

Go see Lucy at the National Museum and just walk through the streets.

Three days is not all that much.

A must for great food at:

Habesha Restaurant

Bole Road

Tel. 518 358

stockholm
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Addis

You can visit National museum, Addis Ababa museum and few other museums. You should vist churches and merkato.Depending on your budget, Tiya is found in 80 km from Addis this site registred as world heritage and Adadimaryam, one of rock-hewin churich.You can se some pictures about addis on ethioposters.com. I think you don't need a guide.

Belta

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Addis

I love Addis and you could stay there 3 days, but...I recently went about two hours north of Addis to Debre Libanos monastery and the "Portuguese Bridge" (a hundred meters beyond the turnoff for the monastery and on the right). There is a breathtakingly beautiful view (and you take a hike around) and there is a little restaurant and hotel just being opened by an Ethiopian and his German wife, called the Ethio-German hotel. We had a wonderful lunch overlooking the gorge. I tried to put the info on trip advisor but not sure where it is. The church at the monastery is worth a visit too...a famous Ethiopia artist did the stained glass and it is beautiful. You can hike around the area as well. 15 minutes beyond is the town of Fiche and there is a very new, nice (by Ethiopian standards)hotel there (the Lion Hotel)--cost about $12. We were on our way back when we discovered the Ethio-German place but it looked really nice (traditional, cabins). But, really, you can do the trip in a day..hire a car and driver and go for the day--the road is paved all the way.

8. Re: 3 days in Addis

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 pm, September 07, 2008
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Addis

The Ethio-German Hotel?lodgetalked about here is as follows.

Get bus or car out of Addis to north - the road to Bahar dAr, Blue Nile Gorge.

After some 100kms there is a side road on RIGHT that goes in 10 miutes to Debre Libanos Church/Monastery.

EG Hotel is immediately after the DL turn off, on RHside of the main highway towards BN gorge.

Less than 2 years old; about 5/6 bedrooms - nicely done..

Fantastic views of Blue Nile tributary gorge. BUt may only have Eth food - not western - especially mid week.

Recommended.

10. Re: 3 days in Addis

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 25, 2009