We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Level Contributor
19 posts
ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Dear all

If you had an experience with ETT recently, please share your impressions

Thank you

Yevgeniy

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2193229-d…

At this link in the Afar Region page of this website you will find many reviews of ETT and other firms re Danakil trips.

Roeselare
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Last year we did part of our northern circuit with them. We booked a Danakil tour (4 days) and 4 days minivan + driver + domestic flight tickets. All the rest we did on our own, except the Simien trekking, which was organised by TrekInEthiopia (Alebachew). We wrote to several touroperators but Daniel from ETT was always the quickest to answer and also the cheapest. He can arrange the discounted prices for domestic flights if you fly in abroad with Ethiopian.

We had only 1 issue with ETT: originally we booked a 5 days tour to Danakil at 700$ but in their Mekele office they organise only 2 x 2 day tours (2 days to Dallol + 2 days to Erta Ale with a night in Mekele in between). So they refunded us with 100$ for the 4 days. This was better for us all together since it was too hot in Danakil by the end of october anyway. We did not book a private tour anyway. That would have cost a lot more. You go with several jeep and several other tourists.

Their minivan was a Toyate Hiace with a very careful and friendly driver Sissay. His English was a little limited but he was able to find every place we wanted to go to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
313 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

thank you

Washington, DC
5 posts
4. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Hi there - I recently used ETT for a Danikal Depression tour based the reviews in the link that AddisAdvisor provided. My trip was well organized with plenty of water, good food (vegetarian) and air conditioned Land Rovers. They are very responsive to emails so I recommend contacting them directly if you have any questions. Hope that helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
313 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Thank you

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
6. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

I just came back from a 3 weeks trip to Ethiopia, and even though I was planning to travel independently, once I was there I met the people from ETT and I decided that price/value it was a good deal to plan some stuff with them.

They provided me with transport in a private car from Mekele to Gonder and from Gonder to Lalibela, which was a good deal taking into consideration that I couldn't get the discounted air tickets (I didn't fly in with Ethopian airlines) and that buses take almost as twice as much time. Also, the roads are quite bad, so being in a land cruiser is definitely sweet.

I also traveled with them to Danakil, and I had a great experience. I took the 4 days trip to Irtaale and Dallol, which was great. If you only have time to do a 2 days, I would recommend Irtaale, the volcano is just amazing.

ETT's staff is really awesome (office, guides, drivers) and they took good care of me, doing much more than expected. Most of them speak very good English, which was important for me as a solo traveler.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
313 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Thank you

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

his post this week

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293790-i9957-k782…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
313 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Very cool:) useful info to be aware of.

Thank you for that

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
313 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: ETT: Ethiopian travel/tours?

Just got back and this is what I can say:

ETT (Ethiopia Travel Tours): STAY AWAY!!

Myself and my friend arranged a trip with ETT to visit historic north and Omo valley. Each of us paid a (horrific) price of 1,800 USD cash for the accommodation, meal, and trip. After the following reasons, we had to terminate the trip after visiting the north section:

~ in the Simien mountains - due to rain, the tent soaked through from the bottom and the top. ETT did not secure our safety. In the middle of the night we wondered in the mountains to find a place in the lodge (one short bed for both of us in a room of 15 or more people)

~ the cars provided were filthy dirty, so that we had to wash our clothes each time we travelled there

~ the hotel in Axum where we were supposed to stay (Sabean Int'l) was not booked - ETT did not even met us in the airport as promised, and tour guides were driving us around the town to find a hotel without electricity and other horrible condition

~ the quality of tour guides is mediocre at best

~ most importantly, the logistics of the trip were entirely not thought of; each and every place we arrived, we were asked what our program is and whether we paid money , which is in my opinion ridiculous. Moreover, the leader of the company - BISRAT- hung up on each of us when we tried to find out the situation. We felt we dealt with liars and thieves. Our correspondence was via GIRUM, who is most likely responsible for the failure of securing logistics of the trip. We wrote to DANIEL, who is supposedly the owner of the company, who has not provided the explanation of our problems.

The feeling of vacation is spoiled forever. I have traveled extensively both independently and with companies; however, this is the first time I had a bad experience during my vacation. I believe it is a mistake to deal with local Ethiopian company; most likely american or Canadian companies charge more money, but the service is better guaranteed. Regarding ETT - don't even think to deal with them! Each of tour guides said that every traveler complain to them about this company...