We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

Is there a generally accepted per day rate to tip guides and others (cook, mule handler, etc.) on a Simien Mountain trek? Is it best to tip each guy individually, or give it to the guide and let him divide it up?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

I always try to give it directly to each person so (1) I can thank them personally and (2) to make sure they are getting it and that the guide isn't skimming off something extra for himself. Exceptions to this are when it comes to tipping time and suddenly you have more staff than you thought and you're not sure who was actually on your trek and who has just turned up to chance their luck. In that sort of situation I give it to the guide and let them work it out themselves. This didn't happen in the Simien mountains, we saw all of the staff every day.

My group of four trekkers tipped as follows for a five day trek:

Guide - 800 birr

Cook - 500

Scout - 400

Cook's assistant - 200

Mule guys - 150

Extra guy who'd carried a few kilos excess weight so we didn't have to hire an extra mule - 150

These were the total amounts given to each person.

Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

This is very useful info Kali737. I was only thinking about tipping as a solo hiker the other day, thinking it might be very expensive. But your breakdown, and the total cost really isn't as bad as I'd expected.

Was this for a 5 or 6 day trek? Sorry, have read your trip report in the past but have forgotten.

I've been in touch with Tesh as a preliminary step in planning a trek. Cheers.

3. Re: Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, March 06, 2014
Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

I agree that a tip is based on satisfaction and is not compulsory, but it's always a good idea to be guided by others. I remember in Morocco tipping our first city guide( the day after arriving in the country and still not really familiar with the currency) what we thought was OK, and he looked stunned. When our tour operator asked us how much we gave the guide he was annoyed at us for tipping such a tiny amount. Fore warned is foer armed.

5. Re: Simien Mountain trek - tipping guides and others

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 05, 2014