We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopia itinerary advice

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ethiopia itinerary advice

Hi everyone I am looking for advice on our upcoming trip. I am traveling with my family of 7. My three youngest are teenagers adopted from Ethiopia 6 years ago and returning for the first time.

With such a large group do I need to buy plane tickets, reserve hotels, and arrange a tour in the Semian's in advance? I am hoping to get the best deal but I am concerned if I wait until in country we may not be able to get seats and a such.

Is the Semian's best done trekking like the guide books suggest or by road?

Anyone have suggestions on my itinerary or guide recommendations?

Other advice?

My itinerary is as follows:

Dec 26 arrive in Addis for visits to birth grandmother and orphanage. Other site seeing in town.

Dec 29 fly Gonder

Dec 30-2 Semian trek

Jan 2 Gonder

Jan 3 fly Lalibella

Jan 6 fly Addis

Jan 7 fly Mekele

Jan 9 fly Addis

Jan 10-11 Addis to visit family again

Jan 12 departure flight.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
794 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethiopia itinerary advice

The Idea is great but Not good program.

you don't have to fly back from lalibela to Addis Ababa. Also it is better to go to Axum than mekele.

Fly from lalibela to axum . You didn't mention any Activities in most of your days example you didn't say anything what you are going to do with the 3 days in lalibela .

If cost matter to you better to use part of the route with private minivan or sky bus.

If you want a chat P.M

Edited: 11:25 pm, December 12, 2012
2. Re: Ethiopia itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:26 am, December 02, 2015
3. Re: Ethiopia itinerary advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:14 pm, December 16, 2012
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethiopia itinerary advice

Thank you everybody. Departure date is getting close. Do I need to make airlines reservations in advance? Do I need a tour company?...money is an issue. Is it recommended to take the time for trekking in Semians or is a driving tour just as rewarding?

Thank you!

5. Re: Ethiopia itinerary advice

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 18, 2013