We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Greater Cleveland...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

I am flying to Burkina Faso from the US, and have found very reasonable rates with Ethiopian Airlines, but I have never used them before. Normally I fly with more "well known" airlines...but I am certainly willing to give them a chance if I hear good reviews. Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

From Washington to Addis you will be on a new 777, one of the best flights from US to Africa.

You may have a night in Addis ?

From Addis to BF prob an older 757 or 767.

Most of the time they are excellent. If there are delays or problems they can be poor at explaining..

Nutley, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

I will be traveling from IAD to JNB via ADD in Cloud Nine on the 777. I am trying to figure out the best business class seats on the aircraft. I have seats 2AC but according to the seat map, seat 1AC angle out. I'm thinking that if the seats in front angle out, it may be difficult to see the video monitor from our seats. Can anybody provide for me some insight ? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Yes that is a major problem if the seats angle out in front of you. You should upgrade to first if you really want to experience this great airline.

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Addisadvisor,

Yours is the most positive review of ET airlines I have been able to find. It is specific to the IAD to ADD route.

We need IAD to ADD then on to NBO.

Can you tell me the routing and give a review for our return flight of ZNZ back to IAD using ET airlines? Do I have to use Precision Air to get off ZNZ?

Gilbert, Arizona
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Anyone traveling Burkina Faso should be aware of the new US State Department travel warning issued this past week.

Mentioned in this post
Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Explain please.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

We live in Addis and fly frequently to London. I wouldnt even think of using any other airline on this route.

Ethiopian fly to Zanzibar (daily i think). It stops at Dar. You will find full details oin Ethiopian website - go to flight schedules first. You will find times and plane used. I think the ADD ZNZ flight is overnight.

Washington to Addis is on 777 200, or even a dreamliner some days.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

I only flew Ethiopian Airlines for domestic flights but I found the service nice and never had a late flight. The pilots know what to do with a problem (I won't go further into that as it's irrelevant but know that they train them well). I've heard that Ethiopian Airlines is one of the best in Africa.

Have a nice time in Burkina Faso!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

I booked my flights from Europe with a 3 weeks journey in Northern Ethiopia to Zanzibar with Ethiopian three month ago. Everything was perfect… I booked the flights to arrive during the day in Zanzibar and also prebooked Hotels in Addis and Stonetown. Now, short before our trip they changed all our flights. We arrive on another day… with stopover in Dar es Salam and arriving at night in Zanzibar, return flight is also at 3AM.

If they won't change our flights back to the original booking we will cancel our trip to Ethiopia and Zanzibar.

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone flown Ethiopian Airlines lately? Any good?

Thank you for information as I have been tracking any information on Ethiopian airlines experiences.