We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

The border crossing at Zalambessa (Ethiopia, 42km north of Adigrat) and Serha (Eritrea) was re-opened in September, and it is available for Ethiopians and Eritreans crossing in both directions.

My questions:

- Can foreigners with a valid Eritrean visa (and with an Ethopian driver/car) use that crossing as well....?

- Has any foreign traveller used that land border crossing, and what were the procedures....?

(I am aware of the flight connection ADD/ASM/ADD...).

Thanks for any input.

7 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

Hi there

Currently, it is open but in January there will be new low will be announced, we have a couple now they are on the tour coming back from Asmara they are in Mekele to go to Dallol so no issue it is open.

2. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:25 am, December 08, 2018
Edited: 8:25 am, December 08, 2018

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

Thank you, hope it will still work when I get there in mid January.

Are you aware of any special border formalities (such as a transit permit to Asmara), or will you just get stamped in at the border and then proceed to Asmara...?

And, do you have any info on the new law that you mentioned…?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
96 posts
4. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

No visa service yet.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

Hello ineremc, what about foreigners with a valid visa for Eritrea, can they use any of the border crossings ...?

Znojmo, Czech...
7 posts
6. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

Hello all

As mentioned in the Eritrea TA forum, my current knowledge is that the border is open, but there are no formalities in place on how to deal with foreigners. Eritreans and Ethiopians pass with merely superficial control and no passport stamps. This would probably be problematic for a foreigner, as you'd have no prove of legal entry into the next country.

It is however possible that this information is already outdated. However, so far there are no detailled reports of foreigners who have crossed and about their border formalities, so new information is probably coming in soon.

Here's my blog post on the issue - I'll update as soon as I find out news:

https:/…

Znojmo, Czech...
7 posts
7. Re: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...

Update 26.12.2018: According to several tweets (e.g. @martinplaut or @kjetiltronvoll), the border at Zalambessa has been "closed" today. Not fully, however - but Ethiopians now apparently have to present a "support letter" of the federal government. No information regarding restrictions for Eritreans or foreigners.

I updated my blog entry (link in previous post)

Reply to: Overland border crossing from Ethiopia to Eritrea...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted