We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sal or Boa Vista ?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sal or Boa Vista ?

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if somebody could tell me the difference between the 2 islands and which one to choose ?

I've never been to this part of the world and have LOTS of questions such as weather, beach, health, people, etc. etc.

Any advice, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Sylvie

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Hi Sylvie, I recommend you read the Top Questions & FAQs on the right hand side first.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Hi I have been to both islands this year, boa vista very quiet only two hotels there but very relaxing. Sal is more built up and developed quite safe to explore the island. The weather is constant but can be windy so beware of burning use high factors. I stayed at all inclusive both times but cheap enough to eat out for a change. Any more questions I'm happy to answer.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Thanks a lot Nurse9 for your reply :-)

Which island did you like ?

Do you know the Villa Verde resort on Sal ?

I might have to go by myself (I'm a 46 years old woman). Do you think I'll be ok ?

Thanks.

Have you also done any day trip to see the other islands ?

I believe there is a ferry to go from Sal to Boa Vista. Do you know anything about it ? how long it takes & the prices ?

I appreciate your help, thanks a lot !

Sylvie

Rugby
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

I have an apartment on Vila Verde resort. Very quiet there. If you are on your own maybe Porto Antigo or other apartments in Santa Maria would be better. Depends what sort of holiday you want.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Thanks RugbyPete.

I like quietness (need to relax) but didn't expect going by myself....... my BF might let me down (still not sure if he can finance his share....).

Anyway, I'll go out to Santa Maria for the entertainement (there is a shuttle going there).

How is the Vila Verde resort ? We heard from our travel agent of one negative review as it is new and not all facilities are open but otherwise I read 2 very positive review from tripadvisor.

Coud you please tell me more ?

Thanks a lot !

Sylvie

Rugby
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

The resort looks great, well planted and spacious pool areas. The apartments are top notch with plenty of room.

There is a small shop on resort to get groceries, beer and wine etc, and it is cheap and easy to get to shops in Santa Maria. 3 euro in taxi or use shuttle bus. Personally I use the Alugers (back of pick up truck 1 euro each), or walk in 20 minutes.

There are a couple of pool bars open but not on each apartment community.

There is a small restaurant on resort that I have had mixed reviews on.

All in all, if you like quiet and the pool mainly to yourself, and don't mind going into Santa Maria for bars and eating out then you will enjoy it.

I love it there but now have my apartment let out for the next 6 months so will probably not go this year. If you are looking to book an apartment let me know, I have contacts who let theirs out to holiday makers.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Thanks a lot RugbyPete !

We have booked a package deal (flights & accommodation) but if we (I) want to come back, I'll know (for you apartment or the one of your contacts).

Sounds GREAT having the pool to myself WOWWWWWWWW :-))))))))

I should have checked it out before booking half-board..... but ok, if we (I) don't like the food, I'll go and eat out (I'll probably feel braver to eat out if my BF is with me) although I've read comments that the island is quite safe.

Any comments on that maybe ?

And how do u use the Alugers ? or is that a kind of public transportation ?

And about the grocery, can one get some European food such as musli or soya milk ? (just checking in case I won't like the breakfast !).

Thanks for all your valuable info !

Sylv.

Rugby
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

There a few small shops in Santa Maria selling pretty much anything. I haven't noticed soya milk though.

Santa Maria very safe. My wife, young daughter and I feel safe walking anywhere even at night, although night for us is up to about midnight tops!

Plenty of restaurants from local cheap and cheerfull up to good quality Italian. Fresh Tuna and other fish are the best.

Go to the pier in Santa Maria at about 1100 in the morning and watch the days catch being brought in by small wooden fishing boats. We buy our fish from the pier and cook in apartment.

As for Aluegars, it depends where you are going. You don't need them about town as SM very small, but if you want to go to Espargos, or maybe out to Vila verde best place to catch them is on the road going north out of town before a place called 'zum fisherman' (you will see it).

Where are you staying?

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

You can buy soya milk in several supermarkets including Cazu.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sal or Boa Vista ?

Thanks Rashyroo !

I've also heard I could bring some stuff for schools such as pens/pencils, etc. can I have more details and who do I contact once there ?

Also for the turtles.......

Sylv.