We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bujumbura Burundi

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Bujumbura Burundi

Does anyone know what the current situation in Bujumbura and surrounding area is? There is a travel advisory out against travel there. I was to go in Sept. to teach school but don't want to book a flight or make any other plans if it is too volatile

Rusizi National Park
Parks, National Parks
Augustine Tours Ltd
City Tours, Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
8 replies to this topic
Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Just go ahead and book your travel to bujumbura everything is very only that embassies take long to give information like this to travellers......

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Where abouts in Burundi are you planning to visit?

If only Bujumbura, there is no problem however some of the more rural areas can potentially be risky as with most other places in the world avoid travel at night or traveling alone in unfamiliar areas.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

It's been many years since I was in Bujumbura --- 1995, as a matter of fact. At that time there was full-blown war. However, I never felt particularly unsafe, the people are tremendous, the culture is rich, and the area is absolutely beautiful.

I was 50 at the time, and have been hoping to have the opportunity to return. Bujumbura is on the shore of Lake Tanganyika; roads are relatively good, especially those constructed by the Chinese. The food is amazing. The scenery is breathtaking. The weather is temperate, not unlike Rwanda.

If the situation is questionable, I would not travel with a female companion. If you require more up-to-date information, I would strongly suggest you contact the AACC (All Africa Congress of Churches), located in Nairobi. The men and women there have very good knowledge as to the situation there, as it is a predominantly Christian area, and there are clergy literally everywhere.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Sorry. Faulty memory.

AACC = All Africa CONFERENCE of Churches.

I worked most of East Africa during the Rwanda war (during which Burundi was also at war) as International Media Liaison for the World Conference of Churches, based out of Geneva, Switzerland.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Hey Terry. Looks like you are going to the same school that I am heading to in January. (also from Edmonton)

Would love to touch base- can you send direct message to me?

Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Travelled down from kigali this month to bujumbura staying by lake and going back up into rwanda a few days later. From personal experience all looked very calm at least where we moved. People speak French and some swahili but less english. Lake is lovely, parts of capital pleasant - check out Aroma on Uproana ave. Another haunt that is nice to hang out is bora bora - may catch choirs rehearsing by beach in afternoons. Cheaper than Rwanda, friendly people generally but has far less invested in it since war than neighbour. All in all felt safe and welcome but each experience is personal needless to say.

Karatu, Tanzania
Level Contributor
9 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

Bujumbura is a really nice city, with a great night life! It does have a slightly run-down feel but while we were walking around for 2 days we felt perfectly safe. Just dont walk aroud with all your valuables and definitely look both ways before crossing the streets- the drivers are a little crazy. Tourists didnt really seem to be a thing there, which was part of why it was more of an adventure. but at no point did we feel unsafe. the food and beer and shopping is all well-priced- only expensive part are the hotels- but here i think its worth it to pay a little more for a little extra security. the beaches of lake tanganika are beautiful, and there are some fun bars in town. my favorite part was that expats and burundians all hung out at these bars- it had a very genuine feel to it. I'd go back.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bujumbura Burundi

We are here for 2 months and have been warned by the locals to watch our purses and pockets, especially close to the downtown bus area.

Reply to: Bujumbura Burundi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted