We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

I am wondering if anyone can advise me as to whether the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency tour is still operating? It is listed as number 8 in the 'Things to do' section but there doesn't seem to have been a post for quite some time. If so, do you know how much it is to do the tour?

The books are a big motivation for me to visit Botswana so I would love to do this!

Thank you for your help

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

I tried their phone number but it sounds disconnected. I think they used to operate out of the Grand Palm Hotel so you could try them. I haven't seen their tour vehicle for some time either so it may well have stopped operating. In any case, unless you had to be specifically in Gaborone, there are better places to see and do in Botswana and the people are the same as in the books but all over the country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble to phone them, very kind of you! I don't have to be specifically in Gaborone and will look at other options, thanks for suggestion. My only agenda is to get from J'burg to Livingstone whilst seeing some of Botswana so I am open to suggestions?!

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

No problem Iwas also curious if they were still operating and it's only a local call for me.

Are you driving from Jo'burg to Livingstone? How long are you intending staying in Botswana and when?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Thank you all the same :). I am landing in J'Burg on the 8th and need to be in Livingstone on the 12th so don't have much time at all. I can either stay in J'burg one night and then fly directly to Livingstone the next day or I can fly straight on to Gaborone (saves me having to spend a night in J'Burg!). Then I would take a bus on to Francistown for a nights stay then onto Kasane to the border. Do you have any pointers? Is there a bus from Gaborone to Francistown? or one to Kasane perhaps? I know they are long journeys for what could essentially be a short flight to Livingstone but I want to see some of the country and don't mind the long bus rides.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Hi. You didn't say which month. Oct? There are buses going to Francistown and then on to Kasane but the road journey is pretty boring. Very flat and some very long straight stretches. Jo'burg is a massive city whereas Gaborone is very small so for one night I would have thought Jo' burg would be better. Is it not possible for you to fly to Livingstone via Maun or Kasane? One of the regular posters (luagwablonde, bushkid etc) may be able to advise you on that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Thanks, I have looked into that but it seems to be very expensive (double that of going straight from J'burg to Livingstone)! I think I will end up flying directly to Livingstone and doing a trip to Chobe from there. Thanks for your help

7. Re: No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 17, 2015