We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa Transit Visa

Newbury, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
South Africa Transit Visa

Hello,

I’m an Indian passport holder, residing in the UK. I have urgent business travel planned to Botswana and my flights are via Johannesburg. I’ve been advised to obtain a South Africa transit visa, as I’m travelling to a neighboring country.

The embassy website states the following -

“If you are a non-visa exempt passport holder who is in transit in the Republic of South Africa enroute (by air, road or rail) to a country that shares a border with the Republic (Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana and Zimbabwe) must apply to be issued with a visa at a South African Mission abroad, before proceeding to the Republic of South Africa". I also have a colleague with an Indian passport who was denied travel to Botswana as he did not have a South Africa transit visa.

However, the visa agency (VFS) insists that applicants who are transiting by air from the following South African airports are exempt from obtaining a transit visa:

1. O R Tambo International

2. Cape Town International

3. King Shaka

4. Lanseria

Is anyone able to confirm this please? Many thanks.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa Transit Visa

I know someone from another forum who is Indian and a regular Botswana visitor. He was very excited to find that last December, the need for transit visas was scrapped, and he traveled to Botswana in January.

So I think your visa agency is correct, but this is a relatively recent change so it's not surprising you are finding some conflicting information on the internet.

I just hope the airlines are up to date with the change, as it is they who can deny boarding. When was your colleague denied travel? If it was before December last year, then at that time a transit visa would have been necessary.

2. Re: South Africa Transit Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2017