We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

Spijkenisse
Level Contributor
27 posts
121 reviews
spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

Hello,

We'll be staying two nights at Savuti campsite this july (29th/30th), coming from Kasana and going on to Moremi.

Does anyone have any tips for a nice selfdrive daytrip-route around Savuti?

- visit Linyanti? (very sandy road?)

- explore Savuti marsh?

Greetings,

sander.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
1. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

I think when you get there, if you have a whole day free, you will find your route is likely to be driven by sightings rather than visiting any particular place. You'll probably meet other people who will tell you about interesting sightings they had the day before in a certain area, or you might hear lions roaring overnight and decide to head in that direction. Or you might want to go back to something you saw the previous day (lions or leopard on a kill).

I think the joy of having a whole day free is not to have a plan. Go where the sightings take you.

Spijkenisse
Level Contributor
27 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

Good advise Stokeygirl. Somehow when I go on a birding trip, that's how I always do it... follow the sightings. But now with wife & kids (13/14yrs) on this 4x4 selfdrive I tend to (over)organise things in advance.....

I'll just follow the sightings :-)

gr, sander.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
404 posts
385 reviews
3. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

The roads in Savuti are all very deep soft sand and thus slow hard driving - so a long drive to Linyati would be a questionable decision. Far better off just staying close to the campsite and drive around the various watering holes. There is one lion pride down in the marsh area (dry now) which is more elusive, and one pride just north of camp (recently with 9 cubs) that is quite active and generally easier to spot. I would not waste time driving long distances on bad roads, but enjoy the local wildlife that makes Savuti so special.

Spijkenisse
Level Contributor
27 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

Thnx, the pride north of the camp sounds worth searching for!

s.

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

A couple of thoughts:

a. as mentioned best to chat to people while you're there - the bush probably won't fit in with a set plan!

b. have a stroll up bushman hill - the rock art is great.

c. on the road (major cutline) from Kasane after Kachikau you will see a left turn sign for Ghoha Gate. I would recommend that you avoid this road as it is very sandy. instead continue straight and turn left when you get to the T-junction. That will take you to Ghoha Gate (the entrance to Savute) without so much thick sand.

d. If you only have one full day in Savute avoid the Linyanti road as it is thick sand. the Marsh and northern part of Savute can easily take up a full day.

Have a great trip!

Clive.

SGSAfrica

Chobe

6. Re: spending a (selfdrive) day in/around Savuti?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2017