We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
65 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

See there are some old posts about Siyabona and not sure if this is the same company as the one i am looking at , http://www.siyabona.com/. Has anyone used them for Botswana - we have used them for a Kruger tour and had no problems with the package they organised, would be good to hear if anyone as experience with them for Okavango?

Looking for a tour operator for a 4- day trip in August to the Okavango.

Want to fly from Jo'burg. Group of 4, want a comfortable camp, doesn't need to be high end luxury.

Not interested in Victoria Falls or Hwange as have been there already.

Haven't at present got any preferences for location or camps as still at an early stage of planning. Any advice would be great.

Maun
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Southendwesthamfan

If you would like to book a group in August to the Delta, its a fantastic time to come here as is its in the middle of the dry season and great for game... This does mean its slap bang in the middle of the peak season though and if I assume that you want two rooms... they may start becoming scarce as you obviously want two rooms consecutively for a 4 night period... Many camps only have 8 rooms so don't leave your decisions too late.

Best is to fly in from Jberg to Maun and back again... this way you get to Maun and fly straight in to the camps and don't hang around for an evening.

For 4 nights and to get the most out of your time... you could stay for 2 nights in a camp in a big game area such as the Greater Linyanti region... and then move on to a camp more in the central areas of the Okavango for a more water based experience..

As a consequence of it being the dry season (no rain), August is right in the middle of the Okavango floods and is perfect for a water based activity.

Every area and every camp is subtly different, so an operator who knows what they are doing and has good knowledge will be able to help and advise correctly.

Roger

Owner of Safari Lifestyles

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
65 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Thanks Roger that's helpful. So I'm now thinking it may be cheaper to make my own arrangements to get to Maun and then book with an operator or lodge. Note what you say about availability and if it comes to it would be happy to spend all the time in 1 location, just been reading about the camps and there are so many to choose from. Can you recommend an area where we could combine water based and drives from a single base?

Maun
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Southendwesthamfan

Yes...We have a few camps here that you can do both and it is dependent on water levels as these mixed camps are sort of dry camps where they are lucky enough to have water close by

It also depends hugely on Budget....

You could look at something like Little Vumbura or Kwara Camp... both are mixed camps and you can stay for 4 nights in each and get the benefits... fair difference in price though, but they are a start for you...

Kwara is sometimes short of the ability to conduct water activities but in August is when the floods come down so camps like tis do pick.

Camps like Machaba are more land based but you will be able to conduct mocker trips

if you stay in a camp for the whole 4 nights (not a bad plan as you would save on 1 internal flying route), I would stay in a camp which is mostly dry based but does some water trips... this way if you have not travelled to us in Botswana before, I think its best to concentrate on our fantastic game viewing with some water activities on the side.

A local operator can sort everything out for you including all your internal transfers... can also give you on the spot water conditions and the best camps to go to.

Roger

Maun
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Southendwesthamfan

I had to tend to a few clients, so had to cut my last response a bit short

Here are a few other camps that we regard as "mixed"

Tubu Tree,

Kwetsani,

Jao

Xudum

Xaranna

Baines

Stanley's

Pom Pom

Little Kwara

Camp Moremi

Camp xakanaxa

Okuti

Kanana

Shinde

Shinde Enclave

This is not an exhaustive list but will give you a fair bit to study.

Roger

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
65 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

Thanks Roger, think you've given me plenty of research materiai :)

Will no doubt be posting some more questions.

6. Re: Siyabona Africa-any experiences? Or can you recommend tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2017