We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping guides

lexington ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
tipping guides

Does anyone have an idea what the proper tips are for guides,and others? I'll be at Stanleys, and Chiefs Camp and Chobe Chilwero.

Thanks,

cubs154

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: tipping guides

We were advised US10 per day per person for the guides and around US5 for the spotters. But it does all depend on how well you get on with them, what their knowledge is like, so many things. We were overwehlmed by our guides and found their knowledge outstanding. They can make or break a good safari.. When we return we would ask to have the same guides again and I think many people feel like that. On our mobile safari we were looked after by a camp crew of 5 and gave a lump sum to the chef to divi up amongst the rest of them. The service we received from them was also outstanding. It all goes to making a truely fantastic experience!

Obviously, these were only recommendations made by the various books we read and the travel companies that we used.I am sure that other people will have different ideas. In fact, the people at our various camps did tip differently. I think, too, that Americans have different ideas about tipping than us Brits! May be I stand corrected!

I hope this help.!

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: tipping guides

I concur with mistytwoshoes, she offers the recommended rate but the guides are so incredibly knowledgable and such delightful characters that $10 seems positively miserly. We tipped our guides at the camps you are visiting between $40 and $100, the latter due to us having the exclusive service of the guide and tracker who proved incredibly attentive to our interests. They also spend mealtimes with you at Chiefs and Stanley's, enabling you to learn so much more about the wildlife as well as local culture. They spend 3 months on, one month off, a good distance from their families, yet you will not find a grumpy fellow amongst them. Enjoy!

Adelaide Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3. Re: tipping guides

Hi cubs - On our trip into Botswana in April 2005 we too had been "educated" by the literature to tip $US10 per guide and $US5 for spotters - we stayed at Baines Camp (which is part of the same group as Stanleys and Cheifs and Chobe Chilwero) specifically so we could visit the three Elephants, known as the Ele experience - Jabu, Thembi and Morula - who's guardian Doug Groves and his wife Sandi support these three ele's to live a wild (semi-habituated to humans) exisitence and be embassadors for their species they also provide opportunities for local children to have educative and fun experiences to assist in the development of understanding between the two species. see http://www.livingwithelephants.org/ We can thoroughly reccomend that you do this as part of your trip. In fact the photo and nick I use for this forum originate from there.

As to tipping - we were so very impressed with the warmth, knowledge and attentive service that we exceeded the recc. tips - we also did a 9 day serviced camping trip through Moremi, Okavango Delta, Savute ending in Livingstone, Zambia - the guide and leader was exceptional and all the camp staff (expecially the women cooks who do EVERYTHING!) were friendly professional people - We are not rich by western standards but are so incredibly prosperous compared to the lives and wages of the people who earn their livings in service tourism - so it seemed right to us to tip twice the recc. amount.

4. Re: tipping guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, August 26, 2009