We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Minneapolis , MN
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Trying to narrow down my itinerary and lock into my plans for late June-early July 2013. So far I am set on starting In South Africa, going to Mala Mala then to Botswana. There I want to visit Okavango (Shinde) and then something in Moremi/Linyanti Reserve/Chobe and ending in Victoria Falls. Lately I have been reading so much and talking to safari travelers and they recommend going to Zimbabwe. I like what I have heard about the Mana Pools area and particularly the Goliath Safari experience. (up close and personal and a bit more rustic). If I add Mana Pools I would need to cut something out from Botswana. Here lies my dilemma. Budget would be $10-15,000/person--just my husband and I. Should I just stick to Botswana and not try to add Zimbabwe? Is it worth it? Thoughts or advice???

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

When I crossed the border into Zimbabwe in July,2011 the crossing took only half an hour.I love Zimbabwe,however,I have to agree with you that if your time is limited that there is plenty of wildlife to be seen in Botswana. I found Chobe National Park to be better for seeing both sable and roan antelope than Hwange National Park. I also saw seemingly limitless numbers of girafes,hippos,and lot of other wildlife including even 3 cheetahs,and a honey badger. I loved the Okavango Delta,and the wildlife in the Kwando concession was outstanding,especially the wild dogs.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Yes! IMHO.

We have traveled to Zimbabwe (3 camps), Botswana (3 camps), and Namibia (2 camps) with only brief stopovers in Johannesburg, South Africa (in other words no game viewing in South Africa.) My favorite place so far has been Zimbabwe for the quality of the game and friendliness / attention of the people. There are a lot less travelers in Zimbabwe, so the camps tend to be less crowded and sightings do not attract a large number of game vehicles.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Where did you visit in Botswana and Zimbabwe if you don't mind me asking?

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Probably the question you should ask yourself. Do you think you will enjoy bushwalking and encountering wildlife on foot? The other camps(SA&Bot) will be primarily game drives. With Mana Pools in your itinerary, there is an extraordinary opportunity to bushwalk in a wildlife reserve where generally the game is habituated to people walking. This can be unnerving for some people, and more so for someone on their 1st time safari. However, the warning, if you enjoy it, you will most likely be hooked for the rest of your life. Pretty much the story for most of the Zim and Zam experts.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

I have to agree with you as I learned to love walking safaris in Mana Pools and South Lungawa National Parks. I've also gone on walking safaris in the Masai Mara and Lake Mburo National Park in Uganda.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Africaman, If you are asking me, in Zimbabwe we visited Hwange National Park (Little Makalolo Camp) twice in September and March of 2013, Mana Pools (Ruckomechi Camp) and Lake Kariba (Musango Safari Camp.)

In Botswana we visited the Okavango Delta (Kwetsani Camp and Chitabe Lediba Camp) and the Chobe area (Savuti Camp.)

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

I've visited Mana Pools and Hwange National Park I've also visited the Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park. I enjoyed everywhere I visited. I saw more species of wildlife in Botswana but as every safari lover will agree-it's all the luck of the draw. I'm returning to the Okavango Delta this year as well as Mana Pools. I'll also be going to Lagoon camp to see my wild dogs again. I hope that you have the opportunity to go on more safaris.

I send you my warmest regards,Owen

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

Thank you, Africanman_840. Have a fabulous trip!

19. Re: Should I add Zimbabwe and cut out a stop in Botswana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 07, 2014