We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania AND Botswana?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania AND Botswana?

I'm new to this forum although I have been browsing a bit. Our plan it to go to Tanzania the last part of February (2012) We plan about 10 days on the ground. (Coming from California)

It has now become possible to stay another week, and we are thinking of trying to combine the Northern Circuit with either Kruger or the Northern part of Botswana (ie, Okavango Delta and Chobe Natl Park, etc, (and yes I have posted in the Tanzania forum also)

And frankly, I have absolutely no clue how to do this. I usually plan our vacations, and we will probably plan our own safari using all the info I am reading here and elsewhere.

But the distances in Africa are enormous, and the costs of flying between locations seems outrageous (ie, trying to fit Kruger in at the end--or even the beginning--of a Northern circuit safari: extremely expensive flights.

And first choice is still to add on Botswana rather than Kruger (but the advantage of Kruger is we can pick up a car at the Johannesburg airport and drive ourselves) So i'm trying to figure out how to get from Arusha (in Tanzania) to the area I want to be in Botswana without breaking the bank. Or is this just nuts? i can't imagine we'll ever get back to Africa (well, Mr S is still hoping for a trip to Egypt someday) so of course, want to see "more."

And then there's Victoria Falls....

Ok, slap me back to reality!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

Never mind! After some basic research I have realized that Feb/early March is not the tim to go to Botswana! Should have read the FAQ first--and I KNOW better! lol

maybe I'll be back again in a couple of years a bit the wiser!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,894 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

We have just been to Botswana, in late Feb/early March and had a fantastic time. Vic Falls is wonderful, by the way, this was our second trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

brittraveler, was the weather rainy when you went? (i don't mind a bit of rain now and then, but pouring rain in and day out would not be fun)

Botswana also is quite expensive, and we think it deserves to be its own trip. Just not sure we will ever have the chance to go back to Africa.

Decisions decisions.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

You will be back. Never fear.

The African bug (Africanus virulensis) has no cure. Symptoms, staring at Travelogs and wildlife films whilst wistfully sighing, can only be alleviated by a return visit. You just cannot help it!

There is no help out there. No "Africa Addicts Anonymous" where you can stand up and say "My name is Siouxxie. I am an African Addict! I need your help!"

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

One conciliation is there are some great deals on some of the lodges and camps in Botswana that time of year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

mfuwe, I am been an Africa addict for most of my life--i have just never "gotten there" yet. Took the few African Studies courses that were available in college back in the late 60s. Studied Anthropology (have done a dig, but alas, not in Africa) I still cry when Redford takes Streep flying over Kenya, and it's not because of the lovers....

I do believe that Mr S has been reluctant to take me to Africa for fear of this very disease! lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,894 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

Well it was our 4th trip, so maybe I'm infected.

We had some rain; downpours lasting up to half an hour once a day, plus one night when it rained from mid evening until early morning. Everything is wonderfully green. We stayed at two Kwando properties and yes, there are some bargain rates at that time of year.

We chose the green season as we had already visited sub saharan Africa at other times of the year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

Thanks brittraveler. I think we'll have to make Botswana another trip! The impulse is always to cram in as much as possible, but eventually we come to our senses and plan more practical trips!

9. Re: Tanzania AND Botswana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, October 26, 2012