We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still Trying to

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
202 reviews
Still Trying to

I asked my travel agent to look at options other than Wilderness Safari Camps and she is presenting the following camps as a possible alternative:

Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp

Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge

Chobe Under Canvas

Matetsi Water Lodge

They are recommending 2 nights at each but I would prefer 3 in Botswana, as our previous Safari showed us that 2 nights is not sufficient. We would then want 2 nights at a place near Victoria Falls which is why I presume they are recommending Matetsi Water Lodge.

Is Matetsi convenient to the falls? On Tripadvisor Matetsi is getting mixed reviews. Nxabega and Sandibe seem to get great reviews. I am having a little trouble finding a lot of reviews for Chobe Under Canvass but the little that I have seen look to be good.

Are the three camps in Botswana a good choice specific to location? any positive or negative suggestions?? We do like the Wilderness Safari Camps but it looks like they are about 30% higher in cost and I do not know if it is worth the extra expense.

=======================================================

Hi Medic - I see you are still at it!

&Beyond does not have any special offers in place for 2010 during the peak season yet (June-15 October) so there will be no cost advantage to staying longer. But - I definitely recommend three days minmum Under Canvas or at Sandibe. Two is enough at Nxabega and Matetsi.

Camps:

compared to the Wilderness option, you are trading Nxabega for Little Vumbura. You will find Nxabega to be in a wet part of the delta with deep channels. Game drives will be a challenge. I think Little Vumbura will offer a much better experience.

compared to the Wilderness option, you are trading Sandibe for Chitabe. This is a fare trade and if Sandibe is 30% less, then you are getting a good deal.

compared to the Wilderness option, you are trading Savuti for Savute under Canvas or Chobe Under Canvas. There is no comparison. Under Canvas takes place in the national park on a public camp site. The actualy set-up is moved every week. Savuti Camp is one of the best safari lodges in the world in the private Linyanti concession. I would pay double to stay at Savuti.

Matetsi is 40 km upstream from Victoria Falls and does offer activities at the Falls each day. I have not been here but all the clients we send like it.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
202 reviews
1. Re: Still Trying to

Sorry, please disregard this post as I hit the send button too soon.

2. Re: Still Trying to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 06, 2010