We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

We are going to Chiefs, Stanley,chobe Chilwero and Victoria Fall early December

thanks for all the reviews which are very usefull but I cannot find a lot on tipping camp staff and in what currency

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Hello,

Looks like you have a nice trip coming up! There are no hard and fast rules, but here's what I've come up with:

$10 per person per day to guides

$5 per person per day to trackers, mokoro polers, butlers, valets, etc.

$5 per person per day to the staff tip box (shared amonst waiters, cleaners, etc)

I view these as minimums -- if you have a private vehicle I would tip at least double the above amount for the guide and tracker.

Tips in US dollars or SA rand are both fine. At most camps (and certainly at your camps) you can tip using a credit card which means ytou can avoid the security issues associated with carrying lots of cash. Some people feel that tipping by credit card can feel impersonal, but I also include a personal thank-you note to the staff member with a notation indicating the amount of the tip so they know how much to collect from the management.

Many people also bring gifts from home -- quite a few guides have collections of stick pins from all over the world, and I normally bring a few of these from Merton College in Oxford where I teach. Food can be interesting as well, though the Clif Bars I brought were seen more as curiosity than cuisine by the people I shared them with. IDon't bring chocolate or anything with a low melting point as it's likely to end up decorating the inside of your luggage. These things are all in addition to the customary tips.

f I'm returning to a camp where I know the guides well I'll bring some current magazines in an area of interest (e.g. photography, sport, etc).

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Julian

uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

thanks Julian most helpful

This is our first trip to Botswana having previously been to Kenya.

I have normally brought out with me pencils and footballs as gifts to locals. Although my T shirts and football shirts have in the past been the main attraction.

what items are most apprciated?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Hello,

Footballs are very popular -- if you brought some deflated ones and a pump they would be much appreciated! You can buy some inexpensive footballs from Footballs for Fun (http://www.footballs4fun.org/), and the profits go to support charities in Africa. They'd be great gifts for the guides at the camps as well as for other peopel you meet.

Cheers,

Julian

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Hello,

Forgot to mention that football shirts would also be popular as many people in Botswana follow English teams (though you'd have to guess as to which teams to bring...)

Cheers,

Julian

5. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 28, 2009