We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

Hello TA Nation,

I'm going to be traveling in Namibia and was considering putting Angola on the itinerary but it seems like it may be quite a challenge. We're on a mid-range budget but I've read that it's extremely expensive. Also, I've read securing a visa can be difficult. I guess I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to cross the border for 5-7 days, as well as looking for answers to the following questions.

1.) We are self-driving, if we rent a car in Namibia will we have any problems taking it into Angola?

2.) Are there any budget flight options between the two capitals? All the flights I found were quite expensive.

3.) If we were to just stay in the south due to time constraint, are there any recommendations of things to do and see? And is there any opportunity to experience any of the ethnic tribes?

4.) Any safety issues for 2 female travelers?

Thanks for your time!

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

You absolutely should not drive into Angola. And 2 females at that, you are big targets. I'm in Namibia now, and I'm quite adventurous, but I won't dare set foot in Angola as it's far too dangerous especially for females. Go to South Africa or Botswana instead.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

I beg to differ on the safety matter. I'm a south afri an who ofte. Work in namibia and did selfdrive angola. I felt more safe than in my home country! 5-7 days selfdri e is however too short. Visas is always a schlep so if you go through the effort you must at least make it worth you while. Try flyi g to lubango. Beautiful and lots of history and outdoor adventure activities

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

Thank you both for the advice. Angola is off the list until I have more time and money to dedicate to it properly. I'm going to maximize my time in Namibia.

Edited: 8:22 pm, January 12, 2017
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

Namibia is pretty safe, I saw young ladies and senior couples traveling alone. Obviously, common sense is always a must. I myself traveled with two couples and was amazed. Having somo snacks and water is very important, as distances are unbelievable. Best of luck!

Wooyung, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

Hello, I sympathise. I'm going to Namibia later this year and want to return to Angola, but am having trouble finding methods of travel. I'm travelling alone. A real problem!

Many years ago I went to Angola. Wonderful trip. Interesting, friendly people.

High points: The Tundaval, Benguela, Kasengula Falls, Luanda, The many different tribes, maintaining their customs were the top highlight. With westernisation of the world, this was so refreshing. People posing for photos would straighten up their clothes, hair etc, as they were so proud that you honoured them with the request for a photo. We also went to Mocamedes, a very remote town, with a terrible road. When we went we had friends on a tobacco farm near Benguela, and had 21 days in the country. With only 5 day visas, self driving seems to be the only option to go to all these places.

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?

Hello denisefripp, I'm in Luanda right now and I would be here until the end of the month. Any pointers where to go? Where can I see the tribes? Is it safe?

Thank you for your response and please feel free to tell me everything you can about it.

Reply to: Coming from Namibia, is it worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted