We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soyo general questions

US
1 post
Soyo general questions

Greetings and Happy Holidays! I am a female moving to Soyo next month from the USA to work in energy sector.

1. My employer is providing housing, with that in mind is the cost of living per month (food and transport) comparable to Luanda? Huambo City or Lubango? I have heard 500USD? Is that accurate and is it strong purchasing power?

2. Also it is advisable that I purchase and ship household things like kitchen plates, pots etc or is it affordable there (comparable to US or EU prices)?

3. Is Malaria a big problem there? What other health concerns may there be?

4. For someone with a one-year contract moving to Soyo from US is it advisable to have one-year supply of malaria pills or can they be purchased cheaply and found easily at local clinics?

5. It seems as if there is not much to do in Soyo, but work! Is ecological tourism in that area developed? Safe?

6. Last question...I checked out a recent biodiversity species list and noticed lots and lots of snakes. How bad is it? Are they generally not found in the residential area?

With very good wishes,

F

europe
2 posts
1. Re: Soyo general questions

hi there.

i was in soyo one year and did not get malaria

cause everywhere there are air/co also the base is sterelized , but everybody has malaria you will be exposed 24h a day.

the snake´s are no problem if you dont chaise them

the people are nice and calm and its safe to go everywhere,and the problem is,there is nowhere to go

shops cafe´s bars or places .

so you work and litlle more then that.

if you self catering better to bring almost everything,there is one foodshop (veryexpensive)

and a sodexo store in the base but very very exp.

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Soyo general questions

Dear "F", we are occasioanlly in Soyo (we are supporting some of the elements of the LNG plant project). However we tend to focus on leisure trips east and south of Luanda.

Paul

www.eco-tur.com

Florida
1 post
3. Re: Soyo general questions

Greetings F:

did you make it to Soyo, and how is it going? is it as you expected or better. would love to here, since i applied for a job there as well.

K

Austrlai
1 post
4. Re: Soyo general questions

ok since there is nothing there really...

i am being offered to work there on a 5 weeks on 2 weeks off rotation.

do u think a $100,000/yr salary is good enough since i earn close to that at the moment and work 4 weeks on 4 weeks off in a modern country ( i wont mention it)...

it will be a professional / technical job for a US based energy company.

Is there internet access there?

So there is really nothing to go to.

And there are no rebels there?

VALENCIA
2 posts
5. Re: Soyo general questions

Hola, yo tengo muchas preguntas referentes a Soyo, como puerto de acceso de mercancias, en cierta forma alternativo a los congestionados Luanda y Lobito.

¿sabe alguien si esta opción puede abordarse? *¿en que manera? ¿mi compañía está abordando numerosos proyectos en salud, y alojamientos en el país, pero la barrera de los puertos está trastocando las expectativas, por lo dilatado de las esperas.

Agradeceré cualquier información. Saludos.

J.C.A.

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Soyo general questions

JCA, I sopeak English or Portuguese / French but not too much Spanish. If I understood your question it is re logistics in Angola using Soyo as an inbound Port. Soyo Port facilities and customs are only really geared up for the oil sector. The road from Soyo to Luanda is being upgraded but has been VERY bad.

Paul

www.eco-tur.com

VALENCIA
2 posts
7. Re: Soyo general questions

Paulo, Obrigado pela sua resposta, o que eu digo é apenas que a notícia era sobre Soyo, ea estrada para Luanda. Mas, como discutido no meu post do estado do porto de Luanda, complica bastante as nossas operações e buscar alternativas, menos mal. Peço desculpas pelo meu Português. Saudações.

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Soyo general questions

OK a estrada para luanda de soyo era pessimo, mas sei que estava a ser melhorado. Contudo mesmo se estava boa, o problema e que estao a fabricar um novo LNG Plant (fabrica de gas) la,m bem como tem um grande estaleiro apenas para as empresas petroliferos no Soyo. Por isso o porto / alfandega Soyo tambem esta cheio de trablaho e nao iam facilemente aceitar cargo normal para Luanda....

Paul

9. Re: Soyo general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, November 25, 2009