We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

London, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
Save Topic
Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

I'll need a transit visa as my flight to Mozambique involves an overnight in Luanda.

Does every traveller need proof of a yellow fever vaccination?

I got the vaccination in 2005, and have the certificate.

WHO recently changed its policy on yellow fever, to say the vaccination is valid for LIFE.

http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/

Just wanted to make sure: are border officials at Luanda airport up to date on this? And when you get a visa? Should I print out the WHO link in portuguese to be sure?

6 replies to this topic
Winterthur
Level Contributor
226 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

Yes, everybody needs the proof. The vaccination certificate will be checked first thing when you arrive, before you go to immigration.

To be on the safe side, contact the Angolan embassy and ask there and bring the printed e-mail with you. I would not count on any other than the official advice on that issue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

Still waiting on the Angolan embassy to reply to me :/

Mozambican embassy here is incredible quick!

Ok I'll tell my travel buddy. Thanks

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
87 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

Are you sure you need a transit visa? TAAG's own website says you do not need a transit visa if your layover is < 24 hours: taag.com/en/…Passports-and-visas

Some people seem to report being able to get out of the airport waiting lounge in cases of long delays / cancelled flights even without a pre-arranged visa. I haven't really looked into that part though, as hopefully that will not affect me!

I got my yellow fever vaccination 9 years ago and I was warned that while the WHO changed its recommendations, the WHO does not make individual countries' laws, and it may take years (or forever) for countries to change their requirements.

Edited: 8:09 am, January 11, 2018
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
87 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

Actually I see you have posted similar info yourself in another thread: https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g293…

so I'm actually unsure why you would need a transit visa.

Winterthur
Level Contributor
226 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

A transit visa is needed, if you want to leave the airport. There is no way around, you dont need all the documentation listed on the TAAG-website, but still a visa (except for cancellations and veeery long delays, when you could be lucky to get in without a visa, but changes are still small). I had a few friends trying it, but they were all stucked in the transit area for a long time.

Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?

Hi,

I’m dealing with the same issue. Did you have to re-vaccinate? Thank you very much.

Reply to: Yello Fever shot over 10 years ago?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted