We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Fort Worth
10 posts
Save Topic
Currency

Hi,

Will be traveling from USA to South Africa, then to Victoria Falls. Can you advise on what percentage of our spending money we should convert to Rand and what we should keep in US Dollars? Is the dollar valuable/spendable in Victoria Falls area? Thank you so much,

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

The USD is the currency of Zimbabwe, so you're going to need it for Victoria Falls, how much depends on how long you'll be there.

Fort Worth
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Thank you! What about gratuities....would most prefer to receive a tip in USD? Or does it matter?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Just tip in rand in S.A. And dollars in Zimbabwe and you should be fine.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

I agree with everybody, over here in Vic Falls the Rand rate has dropped so bad so keep your US$ for Victoria falls. Remember you can get upto $2500 per day from the ATM barclays Bank but you will have to ask your USA bank to increase your daily limit otherwise you will be taking out $500.

Thank you

Philani Moyo- Owner and Director Shockwave Adventure Victoria Falls

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

If you still have rand left over, nobody is going to complain if you give them Rand, but they will be happier with dollars.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Keep in mind if planning on using Barclays Bank ATM in VF, Visa only, no M/C. This caused me to run out of dough at the end of our trip.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

Bring lots of small US dollar bills with you. Small bills are great for tips, plus they never have small bills to make change for you. They don't have their own currency, so the USD and Rand are from visitors who travel with big bills, and they often don't have enough small bills to give you back as change.

We have had the front desk at our hotel unable to give me a change, so she handed me a bottle of juice instead. And the Victoria Falls park entrance did not have enough money to give us change. They wrote an IOU on my receipt to come back to them later for change, but we forget about it when we left the park.

They appreciate small bills there. They have no problem accepting Rands either. We had extra Rands from South Africa, and we spent that first before spending our US dollars.

Fort Worth
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

Wow, that's good to know! Thank you for the heads up!!

9. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, March 21, 2015