We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

We primarily want to do safaris in Africa. Travel agent is leading us to do Victoria Falls. We have seen Iguazu Falls in Argentina. It is quite spectacular and easy to walk around and experience. How different is Victoria Falls? Is there anyone out there who has seen both?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I've been to both. Vic Falls is quite variable depending on the time of year, but at its best I'd say it's on a par with Iguacu. At low water it's not as spectacular.

Whether I'd give up safari days to see it, I'm not sure. It depends how much time you have and where you're planning on going on safari. Vic Falls can fit in very logically and easily into a safari itinerary, for example if you're going to Botswana, or Hwange in Zim.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

Thanks for this info. Makes sense.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I have also seen both, Vic Falls in lowish water. I would say that Iguazu wins, though Vic Falls are very impressive. Given that everything around Vic Falls is very expensive, to my mind it only makes sense if it fits into your itinerary, e.g. planing to visit Chobe National Park or if you have a special interest like rafting.

Victoria Falls and its surrounding 4 countries have a lot of potential; however logistically and financially it is not the easiest part of the world to visit.

Edited: 2:51 pm, March 09, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

This is just my opinion, I've been to both, and found them both anticlimactic. Personally, I think that your valuable time and money would be better spent on safari which you would find far more enjoyable.

Virginia
Level Contributor
536 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

My memories of Vic Falls are of being soaking wet, walking through crowds wearing a poncho.

Seeing my husband bungee jump off the bridge was nice; the touts on the street were horrific.

Our lodge was nice, but expensive.

Rather had been in the bush.

Just my 2c

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I've been to both falls in the month of May. I enjoyed Iguazu much more. At Vic Falls, I was soaked and cold and visibility was poor due to the high spray though the helicopter over it was amazing (but expensive). I guess it all depends on the time of the visit and the area of safari that you are planning to go.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I've never been to Iguazu so can't comment. Vic Falls has to be seen to be comprehended. The geology is such that from Zim side you can wander along a path looking unobscured directly at massive wall of water 1600m (one mile) wide! It can be an almost solid sheet of water with deafening roar and creating its own rain... or several streams along the length with most water in Devil's gorge. imo best time is mid-May to mid-August. Tragedy is the town of V. Falls has been spoilt by neglect and camp ground a disaster when i last checked. Some hotels are modestly priced and plenty B&Bs on offer. My high school class has just had a reunion there but i couldn't make it. Plus logistics are far from ideal. Incredible how hard they make it to reach one of the 7 wonders of natural world!

Would i recommend going? Absolutely 100%.

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I have 3 nites booked at VF in between 4 nites Hwange and 2 nites Chobe. Should I do extra nite at Chobe and only 1 nte at VFs??

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

I think it depends on what you want to do at VF. One night is enough to see the falls and perhaps do one activity like a boat cruise or a helicopter ride, but if you want to do more than that, especially something like all day rafting, you'll need 2 days.

Sydney
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How great and worthwhile is Victoria Falls?

Done both and both were impressive. Visited Iguazu during November - both sides. Was in Vic Falls in January last year. You are very close to falls - had drizzle and volumous water so spray was an issue - restricted the view. Got very wet even with poncho. Helicopter ride was spectacular but similar to ride at Iguazu. Was happy to see both - only one left now is Niagra. Can organise safaris from Vic Falls. Hard choice.