We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

Hello,

We will be in Victoria Falls Zimbabwe at the end of November for one night after a long trip which includes several game drives in Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa. We will have seen the falls on both the Zam and Zim sides as part of this tour but would like some advice as to which of three places to stay at as well as some extra activities as we have an extra day and night before we catch a flight back to South Africa to continue our trip.

I have been checking out the Victoria Falls Hotel, The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and the Ilala and it is a toss up. Normally we prefer smaller more intimate hotels and inns, but we will have been in several game lodges on the trip prior to Vic Falls and are wondering if the historic Victoria Falls Hotel is the choice to do. I have read the Trip Advisor reviews for the three properties and am still not sure of what to do as they all have their pros and cons.

We will have been staying on a train in Vic Falls for about 3 days prior to this last night where accommodation is needed so we will have seen some of the sights.

Also, which is the best Zambezi river cruise to take? We have a choice of doing a lunchtime cruise on the Zambian side or a sunset cruise on the Zimbabwean side ( or both -- or is that redundant?) I think after all our activities prior to this day and night in Vic Falls it will be nice to relax somewhere before we embark on the rest of our journey. But which of these places is the question.

We have been to Iguassu once and many times to Niagara so we are looking forward to seeing Victoria Falls.

Thank you for any suggestions

cheers

Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

Thanks Philani and TravelinV.

Good tips, TravelinV. I guess at this point it will depend on availability and costs with respect to our entire trip -- realizing that the "old lady" will cost a bit more -- both properties are appealing in their respective ways

cheers

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

Dear Swane,

I enjoyed staying at Ilala Lodge due to it proximity to the Falls and very friendly staff. I'm sure that you will love it. It is totally lacking in pomposity. In fact I'll be staying again there this year.

Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

Dear africanman,

Thanks for you reply. Do you recall if there is lots of noise there from the helicopter flights -- as it is the closest hotel to the falls?

cheers

14. Re: Victoria Falls,Zimbabwe - one day & night after Falls tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 18, 2014