We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

I am going on an intrepid tour starting in September. So that I don't miss the start time I have decided to arrive a day early. Intrepid has informed me that I can book an extra night accommodation through them at Victoria Falls Rest Camp and Lodges for an extra AUD$40 however I was unsure of this for two reasons.

Firstly I am a solo, female traveler and I have not been away by myself before so I am unsure about camping when I'm still solo, and secondly I am coming from Australia so it will be a long haul flight (about 22 hours all up) so I may want to sleep in a proper bed before I start my 24 day tour.

I was wondering if anybody could suggest accommodation for a solo female traveler for one night that will be central yet wont totally break the budget, but obviously I am happy to pay more than $40.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Rest camp is safe and right in the middle of town! Shoestrings has cheap beds for the backpacking crowd. It is completely safe in Vic Falls, don't worry! People are very friendly and helpful.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
911 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Hi Chloe

Rest camp has a variety of accommodation options to choose from. At $40 per night that is unlikely to be camping as camping is only US$12 per night. They have hostels at $15, 1 bedroomed chalets at $30, Dome tents which are comfortable and nice for $25 and luxury tents at $75 these options all have communal ablutions but the ablutions are good and clean, prices are US$ and are per person per night. Rest camp is central and a safe place to stay, certainly not a problem for a solo female traveller.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Is this an overland camping tour? If so, you may find your section is part of a longer tour eg if you are going Vic Falls to Cape Town, then the tour might have come down from Nairobi. If this is the case you might not be alone as the truck and group might already be there- you might want to check with Intrepid.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

I agree with everyone just book at Rest Camp take that chalet for $40, it is very safe in Victoria falls.

If you decide to book a bit far from Rest Camp that means you will have to check out of that hotel come and join your group who uses Rest Camp all the time. remember Rest camp have 99% of people are tourist and mainly Australians and Kiwis.

Philani Moyo - Owner & Director Shockwave Adventures

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Thank you everyone! I have booked the accommodation at the rest camp as you all suggested and eased my nerves a bit. Looking forward to my trip now that I have got everything sorted!

Also stokeygirl I am doing an overland trip but when I asked Intrepid about others from my tour arriving early she said that she did not have access to that information however it is highly possible that there are other people from different trips there when I am.

Grateful for all your advice.

London, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

Hi Chloe,

We're at the Rest Camp in October....please let us know what it's like!

7. Re: Accommodation advice for solo traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 14, 2014