We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Hi,

I am going on a 45 day tour from Kenya to Cape town and have type 1 diabetes. I will be taking sufficient insulin with me, but due to the lack a refrigeration on the tour I would like to buy some more supplies when in Victoria Falls (we spend 3 days there and it is about half way through the trip).

Would pharmacies in town accept an Australia script and is insulin scare i.e. would there be a need to pre-order? I know one of the pharmacies is in the Kingdom Hotel.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

I would try calling the pharmacy in town to find out + 263 13 44403

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

I just found out from my insulin manufacturer that they don't even sell my brand of insulin in most of the countries within Africa. I will call the pharmacy, but now I'm doubtful they would even accept Australian scripts.

Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Might be helpful:

diabetesvic.org.au/living-with-diabetes/trav…

diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-…

diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/…

Personally, I wouldn't rely on supply (for a vital medication) in any of the countries you are going to visit, except South Africa.

In case your script isn't accepted, you can contact a local doctor and get one. For that purpose a letter stating your medical conditions and medications can help to get what you need.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Actraphane, Protophane, Actrapid are what is currently in stock at Vic Falls Pharmacy.

Contact Joe Wellock the resident pharmacist for more details and she will be happy to advise you further. joannewellock@yahoo.com

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Thanks. It's just a backup plan incase something happens to my insulin. I don't want to have to use insulin from any African countries.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

Thanks John, I will definitely contact Joanne. I used to use Actrapid and Protophane about 8 years ago.

7. Re: Type 1 Diabetic-Insulin availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 22, 2014