We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibility of Road transport Johanesburg to Victoria Falls

Nairobi
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Possibility of Road transport Johanesburg to Victoria Falls

I need some help on the following , I will be in Johannesburg , by around Nov 6th to around 18 th November , i wanted to visit Victoria Falls , is it possible to travel by bus ? I understand the distance between the two places is about 1400 kms , equivalent to 2 days travel , i have no problem with that since i wanted to cut down the cost of a flight , i had contacted some tour operators and they have offered very little help , kindly advice if its possible to travel by bus and how much do they charge.

Also , i will appreciate a lot if i also get some details on the budget accommodation , preferably camping if possible, you can re comment on some good hotels, or campsites.

I read on some reviews that its better to see Victoria Falls from Zambia side because of the security reasons.

I will appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Naomi.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibility of Road transport Johanesburg to Victoria Falls

Hi Naomi

You can catch the Greyhound bus service from JHB to Bulawayo and then from Bulawayo catch either City link or Pathfinder bus service to Vic Falls. Not sure of the JHB to BYO leg but BYO to Vic Falls costs $50 one way.

There is no difference in security risks between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe Vic Falls is a safe destination.

If you visit Victoria Falls in Nov that is the height of the dry season, the Falls on the Zambian side will be dry and all you will see is a rock face with possibly a few trickles of water. Zimabwe has 70% of the Falls and even in Nov the waterfalls is still amazing.

The Livingstone island tour (which can only be done from Zambia) is a short boat ride it is excellent and gives you a view of the main falls, which you would only normally see from Zimbabwe.

Cheap accommodation. Adventure lodge, Vic Falls Rest Camp and Shoestrings Backpackers lodge, these all also have camping options

Nairobi
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibility of Road transport Johanesburg to Victoria Falls

Thank you Boo Peel, for the info , appreciated , i was looking at possibility of doing VF from Lilongwe , then continue to Cape town, Durban , and finish my tour in Johannesburg.

I will check on the options provided . I will appreciated if i get an idea on how to book the buses , because that is my big problem. Thank you for the mentioned accommodation.

appreciated your feedback.

Naomi.

Edited: 9:12 am, January 21, 2013
3. Re: Possibility of Road transport Johanesburg to Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 23, 2014