We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

I am looking to travel to Victoria Falls in December and want to see both sides of the Falls. I also love to hike and swim. I also hope to get to a safari park, but not a huge deal if I do not. I plan to arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Thursday. I am an Aussie but live in the USA, and travel on an Aussie passport.

I have been reading the Lonely Planet guides and the TA forums and would love to understand the following:

1. Do I really need a yellow fever jab? What is the exact requirement for the visa requirements?

2. It seems it is not possible to get multiple entries but if I do the hike across the bridge a couple of times and go to an animal park in Botswana, is it possible to get two double entry visas?

3. Swimming in the devils pool. This sounds fun, but I have a fear of heights, so how far is the jump into the pool?

4. How wet and warm is the area in the first couple of weeks of December? I have heard there can be fantastic electrical storms and love thunder storms - watching them , not being stupid about "experiencing" one.

Appreciate all feedback and comments.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Khanondo Safaris and Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Shearwater Victoria Falls - Day Trips
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Shearwater - Chobe Full Day Trip
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

The YF jab is required by South Africa for travellers coming from Zambia.

So if you only go to Zim you don't need it, or if your route back home doesn't transit South Africa at all.

For visas you can get double entries on arrival in both Zim and Zam. Zambia is $80 double, $50 single. Zim it varies by nationality- I think Aus is one of the cheaper ones, single is $30. Not sure about double.

It's not a problem to get a double and then another single or double, although obviously it will get costly so it's probably best to plan your activities to keep down the number of crossings required.

Weather will be hot (up to mid to late 30s) although after it rains it cools a bit. Rain is more likely to be a heavy shower in the afternoon than constant rain. You might get a storm, might not.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

if you're not great with heights, are you sure the devil pool is the right activity to be doing?

The actual jump into the pool is only a couple of foot (you can sit on your backside and slide in if you're not keen on jumping)

The biggest concern is the 100foot drop from teh edge of the pool into the gorge!

For me, the highlight of the deils pool trip is leaning over the edge and looking down into the gorge.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

So if I simply go to the Zambian side of the Falls for the day to return to So Africa to fly home I need a YF jab?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

Yes you do.

5. Re: Victoria Falls - questions from an uninformed traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 12, 2013