We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to view the falls?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to view the falls?

We are visiting Victoria falls from 3 to 7 September. Staying on Zambia side. Will do a day trip to Zimbabwe. What is best time to visit falls on each side? Also how many hours to allocate to see the falls properly on each side? We walk slowly. Microlight flight is better in morning or afternoon?

Edited: 7:10 am, July 14, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to view the falls?

Any 1?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to view the falls?

Here's some info that might help you:

world-of-waterfalls.com/africa-victoria-fall…

As for time of day, I haven't seen anyone discuss that. I'd say get up at your leisure and go see the falls, spending as much time as you want. When I went to see VF in March (wet season), I couldn't get very close because of the heavy mist, so I spent about an hour, took some pictures of rainbows and Vervet Monkeys in the trees, then left to return to the hotel. I'd recommend a sunset cruise, which for me was actually the highlight of my stay there: beautiful sunset, lots of hippos in the river and many waterfowl skimming the water.

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to view the falls?

Hi there,

I've just been last month and if you visit the falls as early as possible you will miss all the bus loads of tourists. Say 8am, it opens at 7am. Busses start arriving about 10. I would allow 2 hours is you want to explore the whole area and all the walks. If you have kids maybe allow more. It is amazing!

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to view the falls?

I was in Vic Falls a couple of weeks ago, on the Zim side. We went at 2:30 in the afternoon and there were rainbows everywhere. The guide said most all afternoons have rainbows. I would suggest afternoon, especially if you like rainbows. We walked with a guide and the entire length and back took about 2 hours at a slow pace. Enjoy1

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to view the falls?

Hi Longingford. Can I ask did y ou travel indepdently to ZIm or via a package tour? Also how long did you stay at VF, was it the whole time or just part of a bigger tour? Thanks

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to view the falls?

Hi LBYORK,

I stayed in Vic Falls for 2 days, as part of a longer holiday that I booked with a Specialized TA in the US. He has booked many holidays for us before. We were in South Africa, Botswana and Zim, our main focus was photographic safari, we were gone 3 weeks.

I think 2 or 3 days are a good amount of time to sepnd in Vic Falls, we pre-booked activities, but all of them were booked with Wild Horizons, which can be booked in town or at most of the hotels. We were not sure if we would like Vic Falls, but the fall themself are amazing.

We really enjoyed the activities we took, we got a private guide to the falls, which was great very infomative and hassle free( IMHO worth the money, as this is a once in a lifetime experience). We took an elephant back safari, which really is a special treat. We went on a village tour to "meet and greet the people" and spent the afternoon with a Shaman (local medicine man) in his home, that was enlightening. There were several other activities that looked like a lot of fun, but we ran out of time and were really tired from 10 days out in the "bush".

Hope that helps! Enjoy Vic Falls!

7. Re: Best time to view the falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 18, 2013