We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip - Need clarifications

atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
4 day trip - Need clarifications

I have read extensively in both the Zimbabwe and Zambia forums for Victoria Falls. I am going to post this on both forums.

I am travelling with my 11-year old daughter. Here is my plan and I need few clarifications. I will be traveling for 4 nights in early august. I concluded that the falls are more beautiful from Zimbabwe side. So, I will make that as my base.

Day1 : Reach Victoria Falls by afternoon. See the falls and some activity on that day. what do you suggest?

Day 2: Cross over to Zambian side for a day trip. Watch the falls and 1-2 activities on that side.

a. What activities would you suggest?

b. Can I use the day-visa option? Is it only $20 in such a case?

Day 3-4: Two-day (1 night) trip to Chobe river trip.

a. Please note that we are coming from a 10-day land safari in Kenya. However, I am hoping that it will be different because this is on the river. If it is not, I will cut it down to 1 day. Please advise.

b. Whats the price of visa (for American citizens) if we go for 2 days. Is it true that if we come back the same day, we dont need a visa?

Day 5 morning (and day4 also if the above turns out to be 1 day): activities on Zimbabwe side? What do you suggest?

Thank you.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Hi... in response to some of your questions

Day 1: If you are flying into Zimbabwe depending on which flight you will land between 12 and 1pm, by the time you have completed airport formalities and transfered into Victoria Falls town, thenchecked into your hotel, its going to be around about 2.30 to 3pm, in my opinion this is to late to see the falls, your best activity for that first afterenoon would be something like a helicopter flight or a sunset cruise.

Day 2: Most activities are more expensive to do on the Zambian side, so I would do just the ones that are exclusive to that side, like the Livingstone Island tour (inc the devils swim but not compulsory) and if you felt like it the Micro light flight. The Falls are lovely to see from the Zambian side - gives a completely different perspective and the curios are also great. The village tour to Mukuni Village is also good, if you are into cultural activities.

b. yes you can buy a day tripper visa at $20

Day 3 /4; Chobe is awesome however not sure that you have given yourself enough time to see the Falls in Zimbabwe and done any of the other activities available. maybe just consider the Day trip to Chobe or the overnight trip, which will bring you back to Zimbabwe by mid morning on the second day, giving you the afternoon in Zimbabwe.

Not quite clear on your visa question, but you don't need any visa to get into Botswana, but every time you exit Zimbabwe even for an hour you will need to buy another visa to re enter. So make sure you buy a double entry visa when you first land $45 pp and then if you need a third entry buy a single entry at $30.

I hope you have a great trip.

Tony

South Riding...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

BooPeel,

Thank you for the responses you have provided. They are informative.

As a follow-up to your current response, why is 3pm too late to see the falls? I'll be in Vic Falls next month. We haven't booked a sunset cruise our first day there because I'm afraid we might be too tired after just arriving from the U.S. I was thinking it may be good to just walk around the falls and go to bed early.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Hi Virginia Backpacker

It is not too late to see the Falls at 3pm it's just not the best time in my opinion. As it gets later in the afternoon the sun gets lower so less sunlight shines onto the Falls and particularily into the chasm which will be in shadow. The classis shots of rainbows over Main Falls like the one in my profile picture are taken between 2 and 2.30 pm as it get later these rainbows disappear. Also the later it get the less light penetrates into the rainforest.

On the plus side from danger point the eastern most point in Zimbabwe, looking back towards the setting sun its lovely.

These comments are restricted to viewing from the Zimbabwe side, viewing from Zambia is a completely different story and and is perfect later in the afternoon.

I might suggest that a sunset cruise is a lot less strenuous than walking around the Falls, if you are feeling a bit tired after your journey. The walk is close on 4kms from the entrance gate and back. If you go to all the viewpoints. Whereas a sunset you will be picked up and taken to your boat, plonk yourself on the deck and just take in the mighty Zambezi while you are served as many drinks as you like

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Be careful - some of the sunset cruises are also 'booze' cruises and may become a bit 'lively' !

If your timings are as suggested above, the best thing to do is to go to the Victoria Falls Hotel - it's by the railway station close to the centre of town- on your first afternoon.

It's a colonial relic - a quiet libary with deep leather armchairs/sofas, imaculate lawns, the best toilets in Afica and a terrace over looking the gorge and bridge (in the distance).

Sit on the terrace for afternoon tea - sandwiches, tea, scones and cakes.

atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Thank you for the replies on both the Zimbabwe and Zambia forums for Victoria Falls. I have only a couple of more questions at the end.

Based on the responses, I wanted to book for 5 nights. But, I got a better deal with only 4 nights to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe from Johannesburg.

So, here is my tentative itinerary.

Day 1 : reaching Victoria Falls - See the falls, Sunset Cruise in the evening

Day 2: Livingston Day trip

Day 3: Chobe river trip (Mostly Day trip)

Day 4 : Activities on the Zimbabwean side, watch the falls at the right time (1-3PM?) and other activities.

Day 5: Leave for Johannesburg

If I can get a trip (as someone suggested) for the Chobe river trip to be 1.5 days and can come back to Victoria Falls by noon, I might do that.

Q1: Can I make te Chobe river booking on the spot for the next day?

Q2: Can you please suggest a "budget" hotel (max $50 per night) for stay in Victoria Falls?

Thank you.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Try the Sprayview - getting a bit faded and frayed around the edges but clean rooms in the gardens, a swimming pool and an easy walk in town (perhaps a taxi back when it's dark - just in case the Eles are in town.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293761-d6595…

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

Some budget accommodation options are:

Sprayview $110 per double room

Adventure Lodge $ 81 per double room

Lorries B & B $100 per double room

Victoria Falls Rest camp - 2 bed chalet $34 or luxury tent $90

Shoestrings backpackers lodge $40 per double room

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

For the Chobe day trip or day 1/2 trip we used Steenbok Safari and we very impressed. Moabi is a great person and guide. www.steenboksafari.com

9. Re: 4 day trip - Need clarifications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 01, 2013