We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls Questions!

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Victoria Falls Questions!

Hello!

I am flying out to Victoria Falls beginning of July 2012. I'll be renting a 4x4 and staying in Zimbabwe.

Below I have posted a few questions, would be great to get some answers!

1) In July , what are the opening hours for the Victoria Falls National Park?

2) Is there parking facilities at Victoria Falls National Park?

3) Are you able to/Is there a fee for walking along Victoria Falls Bridge, whilst staying in Zim. (I am aware the border post must be close, if not on the bridge)

4) Sunset/sunrise time? Would anyone recommend getting up especially early to watch the falls at sunrise?

5) How much time would you allow to drive from the falls to Kasane? (bearing in mind Botswana/Zim border crossing etc)

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls Questions!

We were there in April, I'll give you my thoughts:

1) Opening hours should not be important, you want to go to the falls when the mist is lowest. We went 1300 to 1500 and were amazed. Morning time then were very misty and you have trouble seeing the falls.

2) At the Falls, yes. Also it's just a 4 minute walk from town.

3) It is a no mans zone, not sure if a fee.

4) I wouldn't based on our experience see #1.

5) The crossing was fast. We took a transfer and were on the other side in an hour.

Hopefully you'll get a Boopeel comment for more info.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls Questions!

Hi Rob

The Victoria Falls National park is open from 6.30am till 6pm in July. In our summer (August to May) it opens a bit earlier at 6am.

I completely agree with RV429 that the best time for viewing the Falls is between 1pm and 3.30pm. this is the time when the rainbows are in the right places for all your classic views. However I find that sunrise is a particularly magical time. Sunrise in July will be at about 6.50am and it will be very chilly, but of you are an early riser I would definately recommend it. Hardly anyone gets up to view them at this time so it's so quiet. You can have one of the seven natural wonders of the world almost completely to yourself, tell me where else that can happen? If you are into photography this is also a very special time, you can see some photos that I have taken at sunrise here victoriafalls-guide.net/victoria-falls-pictu…

There is no charge for walking onto the bridge and as long as you don't go through Zambian customs on the other side you wont have to buy another visa to re enter Zimbabwe. When you exit through customs in Zimbabwe just say that you are going to view the bungee jumping, they will give you a pass. By the way there is a great little restaurant called the bridge cafe just on the other side of the bridge, but still in no mans land, you can get a great burger and a cold drink and watch all the crazy people leaping off the bridge.

The Falls to Kasane is 80kms and it is an 80km per hour zone as you are driving through a national park and yes there is very good chance of seeing good game. Don't be tempted to go faster as the police are often out there in force with speed traps. Kazangula border post is not normally very busy so wont take long to get through. An hour and a bit is ample.

Have a geat trip

Tony

3. Re: Victoria Falls Questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 20, 2013