We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

Hi all

I am planning a trip to africa in October with a group to Mozambique. Before meeting the group i'd like to do some travelling.

Vic falls, safari etc

What is the best way to do this? I could fly to joburg then travel to Kruger and back on a tour or a tour from Vic falls to joburg

How would I get to vic falls? was thinking it might be cheaper to fly somewhere in zim and get train to vic falls? are these trains safe? would I be ok travelling alone?

Mentioned in this post
Khanondo Safaris and Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Shearwater Victoria Falls - Day Trips
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Shearwater - Chobe Full Day Trip
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Washington DC
Level Contributor
385 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

i saw the train in VF and it was quite a site. It looked completely trashed.

I would suggest flying to VF directly and if youre on a budget fly to Livingstone. Keep in mind if you do that you will likely need a yellow fever shot to get back to SA. Since you're solo you migt consider a safari in Chobe and skip Kruger.

Mentioned in this post
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Victoria Falls
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

Hi there,

The best way for you to get to Victoria Falls would definitely be to fly there - you can fly directly into Victoria Falls from Joburg, or as mentioned above, you can fly from Joburg to Livingstone and then get a road transfer across. You would need to consider the visa situation as you will most likely need a visa for Zimbabwe and for Zambia, with a double entry for the Zambia depending on what passport you're on.

Travelling solo in Zimbabwe is not a problem at all and is quite a normal occurance.

For your safari, if you're going to do Vic Falls, then best options would be to do a couple of nights either in Chobe National Park in Botswana, or in Hwange National Park (also in Zimbabwe about 2hrs from Vic Falls).

All the best!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
898 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Livingstone
Livingstone
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
355 Reviews
Kasane, Botswana
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

great thanks for the information!

Can anyone recommend any safari companies?

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

I used Backpackers bazaar who have good service to book Hwange and all the Vic falls activities:

kelly@backpackers.co.zw

For Chobe I booked through Steenbok Safari: info@steenboksafari.com

Both were very good.

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

Fly to Vic Falls or Livingstone would be best, there are a couple of SA budget airlines which fly there (they are run by BA and South African Air, so don't worry about the budget part). www.1time.aero and www.kulula.com and I think there is one called Mango or flymango?

there are lots of kruger safaris, I did one through Krugertours.com, small groups, 12 max i think there were 7 when I went all open vehicles, and they picked up and dropped off at my hotel and went to the airport, so you could get straight on your flight. I think they can collect from nelspruit as well, so you might not need to come all the way back to Jo'burg from Mocambique. If you group can let you off in Nelspruit.

Have a great time, I was also a single female traveller in Africa.

Mentioned in this post
Livingstone
Livingstone
6. Re: thinking of travelling to vic falls, solo female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, June 22, 2013