We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
937 reviews
Save Topic
affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

My wife and I are taking our 3 children to Victoria Falls in June. We've secured affordable accomodations on the Zambian side in a nice looking guest house, but the cost of accomodations on the Zimbabwe-side seems fairly crushing. Why is this? With the dollar strong against the Rand, how many local travellers could afford $200/night rooms? It seems odd in a poor country like Zimbabwe.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a clean, comfortable and convenient place for a family to stay in Vic Falls? I would think $100 would get me decent accomodations, but so far, I can't find that. Are there any nice guest houses that "fly under the radar"? Thanks.

Edited: 10:18 pm, April 21, 2012
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

There are properties in your budget.

victoriafalls-guide.net/victoria-falls-accom…

We stayed at Backpackers for a twin room at $35.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
937 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Anything better than "Backpackers" for under $100?

Really, I'm a bit amazed at the hotel prices I'm seeing for Zimbabwe. It's bad enough that I'm wondering if I should just stay on the Zambia side and "commute." That seems a bit silly to me, though,.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Click on the above link and you will find:

Sprayview, Victoria Falls Rest Camp, Lorries and Amadeus are all close to your price.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
937 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Hmmm, I don't think most of those places are only $100 for a family, but I will certainly inquire.

Does anyone know a direct contact email for Lorries? I can't seem to find their website. Thanks.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
873 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Hi Dave

Just a word of warning re Zambia, the guest lodge you have probably found is most likely in Livingstone. This is 25 kms from the Victoria Falls and most of the activities, so everytime you need to do something you need to either catch a taxi or a transfer at quite a cost. In Zimbabwe as most establishments are within a max of 5kms of the Falls all activities include transfers. Activities in Zambia will also cost you more than on the Zimbabwe side. Zambia on the whole is more expensive than Zim including most accommodation.

Lorrie doesn't have website. These are her prices whether you go direct to her or through an agent.

Lorries – per PERSON per night – bed and breakfast

Single with Air Con US$ 75

Single with Fan US$ 70

Double with Air Con US$ 60

Double/Twin with Fan US$ 50

Triple Room US$ 45

4 Bedded room US$ 38

Your cheapest option will be the Victoria Falls Rest Camp this is close to your budget of $100. apart from this you won't find accommodation for a family at under $100. I can assure you of that.

Self Catering Lodges – Own bath, toilet and cooking facilities

2 Bedrooms – Sleeps 4

Lodge per night – 4 people US$ 122 (sleeping 4 = $30.5 p/person)

Lodge per night - 1-3 people US$ 93 (sleeping 3 = $31 p/person)

This is good clean accommodation, very central and within walking distance of the Falls, town and several other Hotels.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
937 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Thanks, Boopeel -- I remember your good advice from when I first began planning my Victoria Falls trip (booking my air tickets) several months ago. I've also consulted your website.

We are flying in to the Zambian airport, and out of the Zimbabwe airport after 3 days. My plan is to stay one night in Zambia, see the Zambian side, and then cross into Zimbabwe and stay 2 nights. As Americans, if we only enter Zambia once, I believe this would save us $150 in Visa fees. As everyone (including you!) say the Zimbabwe side is "better," I think this makes the most sense -- and given the geography and the visa fees, it doesn't seem to make sense to stay in Zambia the entire time and "commute."

I've noticed that the Zimbabwe-side guest houses can be fairly reasonable for couples, but once you multiply the per person rate by 5, they're not a particularly good deal for families. I'm now leaning toward the Lokuthula, which I see that you recommended to me initially. A 2-bedroom cottage seems to be $180 for June, and they get good reviews. Would this be a better choice than the Victoria Falls Rest Camp? I'm a little concerned about feeling "stranded" at the Lokuthula -- and being subject to their expensive food options (I think dinner, while nice, is $40 pp there) -- but they seem to run a frequent shuttle in to town, which I guess would solve this problem.

Thanks for the advice!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

We stayed at Lokuthula last year and it was fine. We flew in and out of Livingstone. I would suggest staying in VF for all 3 nights. Its a pain to move and you're there such a short time.

Keep in mind they are part of RCI - if youre a member that might work for you.

I am not sure why you think the Dollar is strong against the Rand and why that has anything to do with Zim. Personally I think the Rand should be 10 to 1.

West Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

" As everyone (including you!) say the Zimbabwe side is "better," "

Dave

In June the difference is marginal. The water levels on both sides of the falls will still be high and spectacular. The only real differences are that the Zim side has a longer continuous stretch of the face of the falls (ie more than half of the width of the falls can be seen from the Zim side), where as when you view from the Zam side you are standing marginally closer to the wall of water (many consider this the more spectacular side).

IMHO in the late season when water levels are much lower the Zim side is better, but in June I think the differences cancel each other out.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
937 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

Thanks nkalamo. The way our flights are arranged (into the Zambian side, out of the Zimbabwe side) it would be silly not to see each side. It also seems a long way to go (from the USA) not to see both sides! That said, if I had it to do over again, I might just pick one side to save on all the crazy fees that seem to pile up. For the moment, for Americans, I think that would generally mean staying on the Zimbabwe side. I am glad that I was able to get our yellow fever shots at a "discount" in Ecuador. If you had to pay the full USA price -- which seems to be at least $150 per person -- it's very hard to justify a visit to the Zambian side (adding in the visa fee, too).

10. Re: affordable family accomodations in Victoria Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, June 18, 2013