We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one more airtravel question

Chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
one more airtravel question

I am getting ridiculously high prices for the flights between JNB and VFA for the end of May (>$600) from all search engines, e.g. Momondo to Expedia to Mobissimo. I can get inexpensive Livingstone flight (~$340), but I do not want to fly there because of required yellow fever immunization. Few days ago same places gave prices to VFA around $350 which is just fine, except at the time I didn't have the dates set so couldn't buy. Could it be that lower fares have been sold out that long in advance? Does anyone know the reason for this hike? Would working with SA or ZIM based travel agent help to bring costs back? If so, can someone recommend a reliable SA/ZIM TA?

Are there smaller airlines (other than Air Namibia, SA link and Comair) that fly into VFA?

Thanks.

TWF

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one more airtravel question

We have been working with Travel Beyond based out of Minnesota for our plans to Zimbabwe this coming September. So far we're more than pleased with the arrangements. I've never used a travel agent before (have always made my own arrangements), but for a trip of this magnitude, their contacts, professionalism and knowledge have been invaluable. I have no relation or interest in the business.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one more airtravel question

I would keep watching for the rate to go down, this happens often. When you see the $350 again, grab it. Your mentioned the 3 airline options. Other idea would be to fly into Kasane on Air Botswana from JNB.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one more airtravel question

As RV has stated keep watching as these prices do fluctuate considerably, I don't think they are sold out, it's just the airlines seem to have a strange pricing system.

The best prices I managed to find were R2982 which at an exchange rate of 7.6 = US$392 departing 27th May and returning 30th May, but dates around that are more expensive.

I am searching from within South Africa on this search engine www.victoriafalls-guide.net/travel-start.html so maybe it is different if you search from the states, please let us know.

No there are no other airlines that fly in VFA other than the ones you have mentioned and the small air charter companies which are considerably more expensive.

Chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one more airtravel question

Thanks to all for your help.

TWF

Washington DC
Level Contributor
338 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one more airtravel question

when we were shopping i found that the Livingstone flight was always about half the price. We did that and found a place here for our YF shots for $110 . Beside that you need to factor in a taxi from the airport to VF and back as well as the multi entry visa.

6. Re: one more airtravel question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 18, 2013