We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

My wife and I are planning a visit to Victoria falls in May.We would appreciate any advice on pros and cons regarding which side to stay on.Specifically my wife is concerned about safety on the Zim side.thanks

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

For the millionth time - NO ONE HAS TO WORRY ABOUT SAFETY ON THE ZIMBABWE SIDE. Zimbabwe is safe to travel around in. People are friendly, the country might have had one of the worst political/economical decades in recent history, but it is a terrific country. The Zim. side of the falls is the best one for viewing too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

I agree, there are no safety issues on the Zimbabwe side at all, in fact I think the views are better on the Zim side.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

Agreed with the above opinion. Don't be put off by the Mugabe situation etc in Zim. The Zim side is the best to view from and also has some great accommodation options: Victoria Falls Hotel in prime position with magnificent view from the hotel lawns, even from some rooms! Then there is the more modest but very nice still, Ilala Lodge. Plus Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, out of town with great views over waterhole and African bush, free shuttles into town and Falls on a regular basis. And Old Ursula Camp, also a bit out of town with regular free shuttles and a safari vibe to it.

Enjoy your time at this natural wonder!

Best from Cape Town

Luke

Edited: 6:51 am, January 12, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

Thanks for everyones input. You have confirmed my opinion but my wifes friends were making her nervous. thanks again

Columbia Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

Just did both sides last week you can look at both sides on my blog royinzambia.blogspot.com has some info if you care to look

Nashville, TN...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

We were just in Zimbabwe a week or two ago staying at The 'Ilala Lodge" which was a 7-10 minute walk to the falls (nice place, nice pool, good food, free internet). On the walk down the street...and down the path, there were some local boys (age 17-25ish) who wanted you to buy there "stuff". Little bracelets, carvings, and some old useless Zimbabwe currency. We were there for about five days...and for the first day or two I would act semi-interested just to be nice (I usually don't buy any of that kinda crap). But here is my word of advice: DO NOT EVEN ACT REMOTELY INTERESTED IN THEIR ATTEMPT TO SELL YOU SOMETHING UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO BUY IT! I am 6'6'' and 235 pounds...it is not that I was afraid or anything, it was just VERY ANNOYING having them literally follow you for 5-7 minutes as they PERSISTENTLY ask/beg for you to buy their stuff. Same thing goes for walking up the street to the store to buy water or go to the little market...just IGNORE them completely or else they WILL walk with you ALL THE WAY UP THE STREET TOO!

As for the falls: $30USD pp to get a one day pass to the Zimbabwe side and you'll get kinda "straight-on" views. If you cross the border (by foot) and walk across the bridge (the whole walk might be 20-30 minutes) you can see the views from the Zambia side. It cost $20USD pp for Zambia (but we literally ran out of money that day getting our Zambia passport stamped at the border crossing and the Zambia waterfall people let us both enter for $20. *I THINK it costs $20pp for a Zambia passport stamp* On the Zambia side you will be able to see the Falls closer and from kinda a "lateral angle" . My girlfriend liked the Zambia view of the Falls better.

7. Re: Victoria falls : zim or zam side ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 26, 2013