We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

Our family of four would like to visit Victoria Falls. We will be in Capetown, Johannesburg and Kruger, end of July, early August. We have been looking into flying into Victoria Falls or Livingston and this would run about $1600 for the four of us. As we would prefer to spend the money once we are there, we are looking for alternative ideas.

Can we drive to Victoria Falls? How far is it from Johannesburg and Kruger? Is there a cheap place to fly into and drive from that would be closer? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Cornish, NH
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

Hi. I'm an American and I've been living in Harare, Zimbabwe for about a year. I definately recommend seeing Vic Falls, it's amazing, and there are many fun adventure type activities. From Harare, flights aren't bad, but since you won't be here, that limits your options. The safest, most reliable way would be to fly there from JoBerg. Look into the price difference flying into the Zimbabwe or Zambia side, accounting for visa fees, too. If you're American, you don't need a visa for South Africa, but you do for Zimbabwe and Zambia. You can get one upon arrival in Zimbawe, for $30 USD each. I believe that you will need to go through the Zambia embassy in DC to get a visa to fly into Zambia. Most of what you want to do and see is on the Zimbabwe side, but a couple tours and bungee jumping is on the Zambia side. You can get a day visa on the spot for those activities, though, if you wish.

Unless you are very experienced in African travel, I'll discourage you from driving through Zimbabwe with a family. You could get stuck at the Zimbabwe border for half a day or more, and you may end up paying much more than you need to, due to dishonest border guards. Driving through remote areas can be dangerous, most of the roads are not maintained, and there is almost no petrol available, so you will need to take enough jerry-cans of gas to get you there and back.

So, flying would be your best option, but it may end up being a bit pricy after visa fees and tickets. As one of the wonders of the world, it's a shame that Vic Fals is in such a deteriorating and less-accessable country. Your family will surely love their time there, though, and it's not a trip to easily pass up.

If you do decide to go, I can give you reccomendations for budget-minded places to stay and things to do.

Hope this helps.

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

Thanks for your response. We would love to go to Victoria Falls and were surprised at the costs of hotels.

Any information you could give us on "how to do Victoria Falls inexpensively" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cornish, NH
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

The cheapest would be the Lokuthula Lodges. They are excellent self-catering lodges, and are quite reasonably priced. They are more in the bush, separated from downtown, so are very peaceful and quiet, with friendly warthogs walking around. They have 4 and 6 person lodges, and the 4-person one is 2-storey, and plenty spacious for 4 people. Each has full kitchen facilities, with hot water, a stove and a fridge, plus a bath/shower. They are very well kept, and feel more natural and "African" than a hotel room. I enjoyed staying there more than I would have at a 5-star hotel in town.

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

Great!

Any suggestions on activites at Victoria Falls? Do we need a guide or a tour group?

Thanks!

Germany
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

Experienced Traveller,

Have you been to Vic Falls ? Or are you still planning? Falls are in flood now. White water rafting is out !

Thomas-Fabe@t-online.de

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Victoria Falls, inexpensively?

I was a little confused by your email. We are still trying to work it out, inexpensively, if we can. As we will be so close, we thought it would be great to see Victoria Falls.

What do you suggest?