We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls

I am told that the Falls are very different on the Zimbabwe Side from the Zambia side, and that to cross the border from Zambia is a must. We will be in Zambia the middle of April. Can anyone advise if this is true and what we need to do about visas to cross over. We are only in Zambia for a few days so want to make the most of our stay. I have heard that the falls can be quite impressive this time of year due to the rains.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
911 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls

The Zimbabwe side has about 80% of the Falls on their side which includes a large rainforest. The Zambian side has a view of the eastern Cataract only.

From the Zambian side you can take a tour onto Livingstone island which is also impressive.

It is nice to see the Falls from both banks as they give completely different perspectives, but honestly I would say don't travel all this way and not see it from Zimbabwe.

Crossing the border (across the bridge) is relatively easy and a single entry visa for a UK national is US$55 and is available at the border post.

The Falls in April are extremely full, at about their peak flow, so there is a tremendous amount of water which creates large volumes of spray, which can obscure your view. However it is very impressive.... you will get very wet.

A helicopter flight is recommended at this time of year to see the Falls from above.

victoriafalls-guide.net

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls

Don't forget, that if you are crossing into Zimbabwe from Zambia for a day trip you will need a double entry visa for Zambia. Once your out, your out. This can be obtained on entry for Usd 80.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls

It depends a lot on the main purpose of your visit to Vicfalls. If its to experience the mighty waterfall i would say going straight to Zimbabwe side will be the most logical thing as this saves you the cost of visa fees by going in and out. Both sides offer different types of view but zim side has 80% of the view.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls

Does the Zimbabwe side offer the same activities as the Zambia side?

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
911 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Falls

One the whole yes, both countries offer the same activities, sunset cruises, white water rafting, bungee jumping, elephant back safari, helicopter flights etc etc. Exclusive to Zambia are things like microlight flights, devils swim and Livingstone island tours. Zimbabwe I would say is better for game viewing activities.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Falls

both sides offer about the same activities..elephant back safari, day trip to Chobe(this is a must), walk with lions,lovely hotels and etc...try the Vic Falls hotel...we stayed on both sides and they are both great..the only trip you can't do is Livingstone Island and swim in Devils Pool...boat leaves from Zambia side..enjoy and keep on traveling

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Falls

Thanks everyone. I think we're leaning towards the Zimbabwe side.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Falls

Can you tell me more about devils pools, i'm going at beginning of nov.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Falls

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Falls