We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls, partial trip report

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls, partial trip report

Last month my daughter and I did an almost two week trip to Zimbabwe arranged by Zambezi Safari and Travel Company. There are two other trip reports on here. We ended our trip with 2 nights in Victoria Falls.

My wife had been working in Harare and she met us for the weekend and we had a fine time. We stayed at the Ilala Lodge and it was perfect for us, there is a review on here.

We were all needing to relax a bit so we did not do too much, but we did the 15 min. helicopter flight and though it is expensive we recommend it highly. Also went to the Boma restaurant, not exactly my kind of thing, but if you are in Victoria Falls, go. Also visited the Victoria Falls Hotel, quite interesting and beautiful.

We never made it to the falls on foot. We had such a beautiful view from the air that we just didn't feel compelled, so next time.

One thing that we did do, we did a good job of shopping. We knew that a place called Elephant Walk was a good place to shop, but we didn't know where, or even what it was. We went out of the Ilala and turned right, up hill toward the RR tracks and turned to the right befor the tracks. We followed on around to the right and found a group of shops on the right where we were warmly welcomed by people in front of and inside the shops. There were about 12 shops and we went in each on and bought a few things.

By the time we got to the last shop we spied Elephant Walk further along and across the street. It is like a small plaza, maybe 10 or so shops arranged around a pleasant patio. These are more upscale shops with lots of nice, reasonably priced things. It is quiet there, no street vendors. The women shopped and I sat in the shade on the patio drinking beer from the snack bar, perfect.

We made a quick pass by the open air market but did not do much more than just enter. We were quickly surrounded by people trying to sell us stuff. We did not stay long, did not feel unsafe, but it was a bit too much for us at that stage.

A fellow named King George showed us to the guarded rear entrance to Ilala which saved us a lot of walking and earned him a $2 tip.

Jim

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls, partial trip report

Very nice.. !!

In my opinion as long as you don't feel the water mist all over you. you can't really understand the strength of the falls... but hey... I didn't do the Helicopter ride.. so maybe after I'll do that I will change my mind :)

2. Re: Victoria Falls, partial trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, May 10, 2011