We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter or Ultralight

canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter or Ultralight

So I am heading to Vic Falls shortly and noticed that you can see the falls via a helicopter ride or take an ultralight flight? I'm looking on feedback on either or..not sure which one to go with. As well I'm assuming these operators take Visa?

I'm in Southern Africa for about a month and have no idea how much cash I should bring....

Thanks!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter or Ultralight

We just got back from Vic Falls and I did both. I would TOTALLY recommend the ultralight. The helicopter was cool and everything but with the ultralight we were able to get super low and fly through the mist. It's just you and the pilot... much more personal.

We were not able to use credit cards anywhere in Zimbabwe. I'd suggest figuring out what you're going to do ahead of time, that way you can only take the cash you need.

We used Backpackers Bazaar for all of our activities and they were great to work with. Their prices were the same or cheaper than any others I found and they were super knowledgable about everything that has to do with Vic Falls.

Their website is

www.graphicd-signs.com/projects/backpack/

and I worked with Joy.

Happy planning!!

Monica

canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter or Ultralight

Fantastic, thanks so much for the feedback! I'll definitely check out Backpackers Bazaar and do the ultra flight : ) Did you end up doing the Lion Walk? Wondering what you thought of it. I'm assuming they'll take both Rand and US dollars?

Thanks again!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter or Ultralight

Hi, ref the lion walk, there has been a long running forum on this subject on the Zambia page. i sugest you read before making a decision on that one.

Ivan

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter or Ultralight

Yes we did the lion walk. I researched the company we used and as far as I can tell the lions are not used for hunting after they get too old to do the walk. We booked with B. Bazaar and they confirmed that the lions are not used for hunting. It was one of the highlights of our trip... the lions are so happy and playful with each other and with the people on the walk. We were able to hold them and play with them and have them sit on our laps. If you contact B. Bazaar they can send you info. on what happens with the lions after they get too old to do the walk.

5. Re: Helicopter or Ultralight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, March 10, 2010