We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency!

Dover
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What currency!

Travelling to Victoria Falls in August, staying at the Amadeus Garden Hotel. Have been asked to pay cash (UK pounds) on arrival. Will need to pay for trips etc. but don't want to carry lots of UK pounds, are travellers cheques accepted ok?

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
976 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Amadeus Garden
Amadeus Garden
264 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Dubai
Level Contributor
10 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency!

Hi there, yes travellers cheques are quite acceptable in Zimbabwe. Do not carry cash, and keep only small quantities of money on you. Must say never heard of the Amadeus Garden Hotel??? Perhaps you are talking of the Zambian side, but the same goes for Zambia. If you are tempted to change money on the black market, be very careful. Have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Amadeus Garden
Amadeus Garden
264 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency!

It depends what you're paying for: traveler's cheques won't work for small things like taxi rides, meals in cheap restaurants, a bottle of water, etc., so you should carry a small amount of currency--and "small" is fine, as everything is so cheap there.

I found I was able to pay for things--particularly at the curio market across from the Falls--in the dribs and drabs of currency I had left from a long trip through Southern Africa: pula, Namibian dollars, and rand as well as USD, ballpoint pens, flip-flops...almost anything but Zim :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency!

In my experience, US dollars cash were the best option in Africa. Travelers checks and credit cards *might* be accepted at the big tourist hotels and activities but should not be relied on. Put the money all over the place in your stuff and on your person so if you are getting robbed, you can give them just a little bit.

big island hawaii
Level Contributor
118 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency!

you will get a very low rate when exchanging travelers checks, if you can find anyone to actually do it. Cash is king in Zimbabwe, doesn't matter if it's dollars or pounds. I would not rely on travelers checks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency!

Hello,

I'd recommend USD in small denominations, or SA Rand in small denominations. When I ran out of USD and tried to use sterling I got some blank stares...

Definitely agree with Dennis (Matnikstym) -- don't bother with travellers' cheques (in general, I think that they're not worth the hassle and poor exchange rate in Africa unless you're doing a six-month trip in areas where you won't have access to ATMs).

Cheers,

Julian

6. Re: What currency!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:28 am, September 04, 2009