We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Victoria Falls from Botswana

Darwin, Northern...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Victoria Falls from Botswana

I'm considering a trip to Southern Africa around May 2008 and hoping to drive as much as possible. Okavango and Chobe are definitely in the mix, and if I choose to go there why not Vic Falls too?

Can anyone advise on the road from Kazungula to Victoria Falls these days? Is travelling in this part of Zimbabwe still trouble free? I notice that a lot of guided tours go via Zambia these days, and considering what I've read about the ferry and the road I'm wondering if the current unrest in Zim is making road travel too risky/troublesome.

Any advice?

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
143 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Victoria Falls from Botswana

Hi, I was in Southern Africa over the new year, I based myself in Livingstone, Zambia and then hired a landrover and drove into Nambia. I was advised not to take a vehicle into Zimbabwe as entry visa for both self and vehicle were very high. I also chose not to go into Zim for personal political reasons. I did drive from Livingstone to the Caprivi Strip in Namibia, from Livingstone, through Sesheke to Katimo Mulilo and beyond. The roads are excellent, although if you decide to cross into Namibia at the sesheke/katima crossing the Zambian border control can be hard to find. Trick is to turn right after the bridge rather that following the road left straight to the Namibian border. Most people now use the new bridge to cross the zambezi at sesheke rather than using the old and unreliable ferry at Kazungula. I did drive the Victoria Falls - Kazungula road about 5 years ago and conditions were very good, this was before driving across to Maun and then into the panhandle of the delta. This time round I stayed at a lodge in the caprivi and then left the vehicle with them while I took a boat transfer to a different lodge in Botswana. Feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

East Africa
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Victoria Falls from Botswana

Hi Noisui,

Your post has been quite helpful for me, as a few of us are planning to drive to Livingstone (Zambia side of Victoria Falls) from Gaborone in mid-December this year. I figured we'll have to drive to Kasane anyway, but then there's the option of taking the Kazungula ferry to Zambia or to drive through Zimbabwe and then crossing the Victoria Falls bridge over to Zambia.

Passing through Zimbabwe initially appeared quicker, but your post indicates that it could be pretty costly just to pass through Zimbabwe for only about an hour each way, and we'll face additional hassle for visas, plus the uncertainty over the political situation.

I am now inclined towards using the ferry to cross over into Zambia, but I've heard that there can be long queues for getting a vehicle on the ferry, which can take a few hours. Do you know if this is the case, or is it quick to cross over on the ferry?

Cheers!

3. Re: Travelling to Victoria Falls from Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 05, 2009