We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drifters inn and more

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Drifters inn and more

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are going to Vic Falls this June for 3 nights and are staying at the Drifters Inn. Has anyone been there? If so what is it like?

Also the whole cash/visa issue is quiet confussing but I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this: If you take American $ and use it to pay for things and you get change in Zim $ right? Well I know that if you have Zim $ on you and use it to buy something you need to prove where you got the money from (ie bank reciept) so will you get a reciept from spending the American $ and use that to prove where you got the Zim $ from?

My last question is about visiting the falls themselves. I take it that there are locals offering to do tours, or you can do it yourself, can someone who's been there and done that suggest which is better?

Thanks for your help!

Calgary Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drifters inn and more

You need to take LOTS of US$ in different denominations, so you can pay exact money as you will get Zim$ in change. You wouldn't have a suitcase large enough to carry around all the ZIM$ you would need in order to buy anything. You definately need small US$ notes for tips and things. Stuff is very expensive and usually always priced in US$. When I was there last July, 4 glasses of pop at the hotel pool was US$15.00. The waiter gives a bill with the total in US and Zim. Some resturants will give a discount for using US$.

I never used a credit card there, but apparently you can use them for any of the activities. (I just had visions of charges over and above). The thought of that was too stressful so I just took lots of cash, which I stashed in secret pockets and belts etc over my body.

There are companies that do tours of the falls. I don't know where Drifters Inn is, if it is in town you could just walk to the falls and show up at the gate and pay. The tour companies will fetch you from your hotel.

It is quite safe to walk around the town by day. There are a lot of tourist police. The people are very desperate and if you go to the craft village they hassle you quite a lot, a half hour in there seems like 5 hours, as they all bring everything they have under your nose and are quite insistant that you definately need to buy it.

There are also plenty of cabs that are also quite willing to accept US$, to take you where ever.

You will have a great time. The people working at the hotels are very friendly and helpful.

big island hawaii
Level Contributor
118 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drifters inn and more

All of the shops around the tourist area take US dollars, but stray out of that area and you'll need Zim dollars. The walk to the falls is quite easy, follow the path off the main road across from Ilala Lodge, about a 10 minute walk. You will get overwhelmed by the number of people trying to sell you something, and they are quite insistent. . Admission to the falls is $20 US.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drifters inn and more

Mastercard with effect from 1 Jan 2007 is no longer accepted however VISA is still widely accepted. I would suggest taking large amounts of smaller denominations in US$ as yes change is an issue. Most places will not give you or will not have change in US$ so better to have denominations right down to $1 bill

All payments by tourists have to be in foreign currency. It is far cheaper to pay for goods and services this way as if you change your money at the official rate a coke will cost $14 as apposed to $2 if paid for in US$ cash. If paying with a credit card check that the Z$ amount on the credit card slip equates back to a reasonable US$ figure by deviding it with the exchange rate used by the operator.

With regards to the falls if you need a guided tour rather book this through a reputable operator like Shearwater or Safari Par Excellence.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drifters inn and more

Mastercard with effect from 1 Jan 2007 is no longer accepted however VISA is still widely accepted. I would suggest taking large amounts of smaller denominations in US$ as yes change is an issue. Most places will not give you or will not have change in US$ so better to have denominations right down to $1 bill

All payments by tourists have to be in foreign currency. It is far cheaper to pay for goods and services this way as if you change your money at the official rate a coke will cost $14 as apposed to $2 if paid for in US$ cash. If paying with a credit card check that the Z$ amount on the credit card slip equates back to a reasonable US$ figure by deviding it with the exchange rate used by the operator.

With regards to the falls if you need a guided tour rather book this through a reputable operator like Shearwater or Safari Par Excellence.

5. Re: Drifters inn and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 28, 2009